Political Correctness

There is one example of political correctness that really irks me.

When someone launches into, let's say, a Scottish, Irish, Aussie or any of the various American accents on TV, in the workplace or in the pub, no one bats an eyelid.

However, I've seen people take serious offence when someone does the same with an Indian, Chinese or a black African accent.

We recently saw the furore over the advert featuring Jamaican accents and I bet all the usual suspects on this forum would willingly string up Jim Davidson by his nuts for his ill-judged (and admittedly terminally unfunny) use of accents.

Who remembers the 1960 comedy hit single Goodness Gracious Me by Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren?

The record features Sellers playing the role of an Indian doctor complete with exaggerated accent. Sellers was a brilliant mimic and played many roles of this type which required him to use different accents.

However, the record is considered racially offensive these days and in a pointed attempt to "reclaim" the expression and/or accent, the recent eponymous TV show was "ironically" named after it.

Strangely enough, the follow-up record to Goodness Gracious Me by Sellers and Loren was Bangers and Mash, which required Sellers to use a strong, somewhat dim-witted cockney accent. As far as I know, no offence was taken in the East End :hihi:

if someone can explain why we cant call it a 'blackboard' anymore id love to hear the explanation

Who said we can't call a blackboard a blackboard any more?

I think that resides in the same category as stories about not being allowed to fly union jacks during the world cup.

ie. nonsense made up and spread by those with an agenda.

Sadly too many people believe this rubbish.

John X

Two of my pet hates...

They are Christmas lights, not winter festival lights. Although I am an atheist, they are still Christmas lights.

Coffee with or without milk? What's wrong with asking someone if they want their coffee white or black? It isn't offensive, it's pc gone mad! :rant:

(Incidentally, if anyone thinks that referring to coffee in a cup by it's colour is offensive, do those same people object to receiving a bank statement that is in the black?).

My 'Pet Hate' is that people are so guillible to believe this kind of garbage in the first place.

The 'Winterval' example, which is trotted out every year by the idiotic press was never an attempt to rebrand christmas, it was phrase used by Birmingham council to promote a series of events that INCLUDED Christmas.

The fact that it was never true doesn't stop the stupid and the ignorant from believing it (a bit like Christmas itself!).

Here you go - you can put your santa hat back on now,

http://enemiesofreason.blogspot.com/2009/10/winterval-watch-here-we-go.html

http://enemiesofreason.blogspot.com/2008/09/those-christmas-is-banned-stories-start.html

Exactly right - this is another example of a story that didn't happen.

Want to buy a blackboard? Go ahead...

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Toys-R-Us/Learning/Creative-Play/Deluxe-Wooden-Easel%280028408%29

'This sturdy wooden easel features a blackboard on one side and a marker board surface on the other for lots of creative fun'

The next time someone tells you that you can't say 'blackboard' anymore, call them a moron and punch them in their stupid, tabloid reading face.

'This sturdy wooden easel features a blackboard on one side and a marker board surface on the other for lots of creative fun'

Another disgusting version of Politcally correct lunacy! What the hell is a marker board? Aren't we allowed to call peach coloured people (lol) white anymore? What if I want milk in my coffee! Can I only have latte's but not flat whites? Next they will ban the hilarious use of Cappugino.:hihi:

I chuckle me.

Im pc as possible when Im around people I don't know. When its my mates Im completely non-pc because they know we are all joking. When I am around people who mean it when they tell a racist, sexist, ageist etc joke it just isn't funny

its all about context!

My bold

Everybody is an individual and therefore slightly different from everybody else. What you've said is actually prejudiced - because you appear to be making assumptions about people being very different just because of their age, their gender or their race.

I'm a 57 year old, white lesbian - but I'll bet I've probably got more in common with some 30 year old, black straight males than I have with some 57 year old, white lesbians!!

Your last sentence has me totally puzzled - could you explain it more fully, please?

but you are still a 57 year old white lesbian, if you were in hospital your treatments would be those recommended for a 57 year old white female. So discriminating based on those factors would be very beneficial. It doesn't matter that your best mate might not fit into that bracket you do!

It's a bit like 'herstory' rather than 'history'...

Some people seem to be on the look out for what someone else may find offensive??? Where is the point? Who knows! Councils in particular love this sort of thing - that's where the idea of 'PC' springs from, but for the majority of people, they don't want to cause undue offence to others around them (although there will always be one gimp who loves to, but thankfully they only hang about together and tend to have few mates anyways!)...

I have only seen 'herstory' used occassionally and never in a context of trying to avoid offence, indeed where it is used it is used to provoke thought and perhaps offence. It is used as a play on words to make a point that women have a role in history that has often been overlooked and in that context, as a linguistically playful way to make a point, it is a clever use of language. If someone uses it all the time then they are perhaps being a bit excessive making their point, but it isn't anything to be that concerned about.

I think that resides in the same category as stories about not being allowed to fly union

jacks during the world cup.

ie. nonsense made up and spread by those with an agenda.

John X

Erm, I had the police at my house during the last world cup asking me to make my flags less obvious as some in my neighbourhood were finding them offensive!

Archived