What is middle age?

I got my last job here in Sheffield at the age of 61. I also moved jobs in my 50s, and got several promotions up to retiring from it at 60. I don't agree that all employers in the UK are ageist, but I think that us older people who do want to work need to keep our skills updated and our minds open!

Sadly Ms Macbeth, I think older males suffer more in the job market due to ageism, TV presenters being the exception :wink: Many men are left with outdated skills because they tend more often to stay in one type of job throughout their working life, if they get made redundant in their 50s their choices seem to be very limited, IMHO

Sadly Ms Macbeth, I think older males suffer more in the job market due to ageism, TV presenters being the exception :wink: Many men are left with outdated skills because they tend more often to stay in one type of job throughout their working life, if they get made redundant in their 50s their choices seem to be very limited, IMHO

I'm sure that there are very many people on this planet who are far better at doing what I do than am I.

When I was in my 50s, I too was worried that the world was passing me by and I too was concerned that younger people were going to steal the crust from my lips.

The I realised it wasn't a crust; it was bait.

I'm now in my 60s. I haven't honed my skills markedly, nor have I spent a fortune advertising my skills. Presumably, I'm on a hiding to nothing.

My potential employers were using bait, but I'd rather be the guy who goes fishing.

'Advanced skills' are marketable; 'low cunning' is intrinsically valuable.

I don't get offered that many jobs nowadays. - I get offered enough to keep me busy full-time but no more (not that I want to be kept busy full-time.)

I turn down at least one in 3 jobs. Usually I turn down 2 or 3 out of every 5. I get a lot of time off.

People are aware that I turn down work and so they offer me more in an attempt to persuade me to work.

I suppose if I worked harder I might make more money ... but I wouldn't have anywhere as near as much fun (and my hourly rate would be crap:hihi:)

What do they call you, I think it would be actually being called 'granny' that seems ageing

Granny. My choice - its what most Scots grandmothers are called. I don't think I'd have liked it if I'd been a very young grandmother though! :roll: I was 60 when the first was born so I feel its suitable. My OH doesn't like grandpa or granddad, the wee ones call him pop or pops.

Granny. My choice - its what most Scots grandmothers are called. I don't think I'd have liked it if I'd been a very young grandmother though! :roll: I was 60 when the first was born so I feel its suitable. My OH doesn't like grandpa or granddad, the wee ones call him pop or pops.

If I had to choose I'd ask to be called Nan as it's a diminutive of Ann or Nancy

What do they call you, I think it would be actually being called 'granny' that seems ageing

My own grandmother (in her mid 80s) hates being called 'granny' for that very reason - it makes her feel too old. So she's always been 'nan', which I prefer to use anyway.

You could choose something totally different from granny, nan, nanan, nana, granma?

I knew someone who was called Barbie by the grandchildren. Not because of the doll, but because Jewish grandmothers are often called Bobbie and they misheard it said in an American accent. And another Gigi, and a Ganny and a Gamma, Children just seem to choose their own names in the end.

Although if I'm ever lucky enough to be a grandparent, I think I'd just plump for Nanna. Plain and simple and not open to misinterpretation like nanny can be, Or maybe I'll just be GaGa ;)

If I had to choose I'd ask to be called Nan as it's a diminutive of Ann or Nancy

Ah, but I would dislike being called nan, and especially woulo dislike nan-nan. My grandchildren's other grandmother is called nana which is her choice. When I hear granny I think of my own mother, and my granny. The name conjures up lovely memories. I never had a nan, in fact I don't remember anyone being called that when I was a child 'up north'. ;) THey were all grans, grannies or grandmas. It'll be different for people who grew up in different parts of the UK.

Archived