Tumuli, forts and finds

Hiya

Does anyone know where they are any tumuli in sheffield. I have heard about the ones at lodge moore, but cant find there locations. Im trying to compile a map of tumuli, forts, and finds etc, in and around sheffield and the peaks, and because of all the occupation, using an OS Map is pants for sheffield :) So any helps is appreciated.

There's two Iron Age forts in Sheffield so probably tumuli as well although many of these will be lost amongst urbanisation. I don't know of any other city in the UK with two hill forts, Sheffield has Wincobank and Carl Wark, which is just within the Sheffield city boundary.

There's also a cup and ring stone in Ecclesall Woods which I've looked for, but never actually found.

Hello. Not overly intrested in anything norman / medieval. Ive already marked the wincobank site and cark walk. People think that the wincobank site may relate to the brigantes tribe, and carl walk, maybe broze / iron age, but no one really knows as there isnt much evidence. When you look at everything on a topography map, Cark walk seems to link in mam tor, and chapel en le frith. Wincobank on the other hand doesnt. Which is why I need some more evidence :)

Archived