Ageing - does it get you down?

You really believe that? Look at Iggy Pop, fgs, Why doesn't someone tell him! Cover it up, dude, or iron it at least. ;)

I did specify only the one's that live good. Famous people are generally very naughty and live to excess. :nono:

I did specify only the one's that live good. Famous people are generally very naughty and live to excess. :nono:
I don't know many old men that look good ... I suppose old to you and old to me are going to be totally different anyway. You probably mean 40whereas I'm talking about 60 odd.

Although, in spite of people taking the mick out of him, Stringfellow doesn't look bad for nearly 70. Although he has had a face lift. And he is married to a woman 40+ years younger than him .... :P That's probably keeping him up to the mark.

I was looking at some family photographs of my Grandmother and Grandfather, from when I was a baby. On one of the photos, my grandma is holding me, at about 10 months/ one year of age.

My Grandma was the same age on that photo, as I am now. (well, give or take a couple of months) and I am amazed at how "old" my Gran looked, even then. She looked about sixty or sixty-five when she was only forty five or forty-six. She looked a good twenty years older than her true age. There's another picture of my aunty Kath, holding me as a baby, (great-aunt, actually) who is a similar age to my Gran, and she also looked a lot older than her actual age. It's weird.

Now I might not be an oil-painting, but I'm no bag of spanners, either. I am not bad off for wrinkles, (Just having a few laughter lines, and a few wrinkles on my forehead.) and my hair isn't grey. I could pass for late thirties.

Ageing comes to all of us who are lucky enough to live that long. I fully intend to age naturally, no cosmetic surgery or botox for me.

I fully agree with the earlier comments about how things don't seem to bother you, as much, when you get older. I'm certainly a lot more confident about my size, and my looks than I was 20 or so years ago. I'm a lot more comfortable in the skin that I am in.

Youth is wasted on the young.

I'm 41 this June, had a cracking 40th in York last year and see getting old as a privilege. I've had a superb life so far and there's plenty more to come. Seeing my two daughters grow up is what it's all about.

But I had a moment of anxiety in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago where all I could see was a 40 mph road sign with red circle around it. I lay in the dark thinking 'I can't be THAT old!'

But I am and I'm glad to be here.

I think 60 is the new 40, when my parents were 60 they looked old, in fact they looked old at 50, but fashions change, us oldies don't wear crimpelene I am still wearing jeans and t. shirts, my Mum would never have dreamt of wearing anything other than skirts tights and "old fashioned" shoes.

So my generation look a lot younger than we actually are, unfortunately the old joints don't agree, thats the only problem I have with getting older.

Archived