Cheap break to Italy/France

Doesn't have to be over the weekend, no particular city/area but we are keen on Italy. Would consider France depending on the deal. Looking to travel from april 30th onwards.

Anyone have any experiences or websites they've booked from?

If I'm going to France or Italy (and particularly Italy, which is only a couple of hours away) I drive.

Venice is quite nice at this time of year . but take your wellies; they've got a bit of a flooding problem ;).

The last time I went there I booked a hotel through hotwire.com; a company I used frequently for hotels and hire cars in the US. The hotel was OK and it was fair value for money, but if you use hotwire, I suggest you try to compare the prices and confirm the existence (or hopefully otherwise) of 'extra' charges before you commit yourself. (When I used them for hire cars in the UK, the final price was pretty much the same as everybody else charged.)

If you want a hotel on one of the Islands expect to pay more. - The last time I was there I stayed in Mestre. Most 'off Island' hotels seem to have a shuttle bus service to Venice, but if you want night life and you're in an hotel on the mainland, you should check the area before you book. - A lot of the hotels are in what appears to be a semi-industrial area and there may not be a lot going on outside the hotel.

Some airlines (notably Ryanair) offer hotel accommodation and no doubt they make money out of it, but their prices are also perhaps worth a look.

Archived