What was Sharrow like in the early 1970s?

As young kids we thought the adventure playground behind the cross guns was great. The flats were new with all the walkways and binsheds where we would hide and congregate. In fact the whole complex was one big adventure to us. I still lived in a tiny victorian house not far from St Barnabas school Cecil road so the flats were out of this world to me at the time.

We also would all hang around the large buildings between Sharrow lane and Sitwell road. We became known as the Learners mob or gang due to one of the buildings previous uses. Those were great days in the early 1970s, nobody ever seemed to bother us. Sharrow was a brilliant area to be in at that time.:)

a

Oh yes I will remember The Learners well. Me and and a bunch of other lads crossed paths with The Learners mob a few times. I remember one time a mate of mine gave one of the Learners a proper leathering and a few days later we were all tracked down to another friend of mine's house. Looking back it was quite funny being under siege as I recall one lad climbing through a kitchen window - think his name was Glen - to get to us. Needless to say there were no parents around. Funny thing was we all end up mates a few weeks later. Happy days.

a

Oh yes I will remember The Learners well. Me and and a bunch of other lads crossed paths with The Learners mob a few times. I remember one time a mate of mine gave one of the Learners a proper leathering and a few days later we were all tracked down to another friend of mine's house. Looking back it was quite funny being under siege as I recall one lad climbing through a kitchen window - think his name was Glen - to get to us. Needless to say there were no parents around. Funny thing was we all end up mates a few weeks later. Happy days.

I know the Glen you mention and his brother Dave. Its been years since I seen them though. I understand they both went in the army?

I know the Glen you mention and his brother Dave. Its been years since I seen them though. I understand they both went in the army?

Yeah, Glen had a brother Dave. Think he had a Yamaha motorbike. If I’m not mistaken Glen came off it and was hurt quite badly.

I used to live in the old terrace houses on Washington Rd that have long since been pulled down. I remember, long before the health and safety regulations that construction sites had to adhere to nowadays, we used to have a great time playing on the huge building site when the flats were being built. We’d be climbing scaffolding, ladders, walls, piles of sand and bricks, and anything that looked like fun back then. I also remember Sharrow Lane School opening up it’s gates in the evenings to let local kids in to play in the school playgrounds. Those playgrounds were packed on those warm summer nights with kids of all ages playing football, right, hide and seek, marbles and anything else kids played at. A few years later and I remember venturing further away down and across London Rd to explore the derilict houses that lead down to Brammall Lane. We’d enter a boarded up house at the top of a street and work our way down through all the houses - through the lofts - looking for leftover treasures. Never did find owt worth owt but then nobody really had anything of any value back then.

And yeah your right about the Playground at the back of the Cross Guns. It was great. It had the biggest slide I’d ever seen! Then there was the game of knock and run along all those walkways you mention. Oh yes, so much more fun than playing on an Xbox. Oh listen at me, must be getting old. :)

Yeah, Glen had a brother Dave. Think he had a Yamaha motorbike. If I’m not mistaken Glen came off it and was hurt quite badly.

I used to live in the old terrace houses on Washington Rd that have long since been pulled down. I remember, long before the health and safety regulations that construction sites had to adhere to nowadays, we used to have a great time playing on the huge building site when the flats were being built. We’d be climbing scaffolding, ladders, walls, piles of sand and bricks, and anything that looked like fun back then. I also remember Sharrow Lane School opening up it’s gates in the evenings to let local kids in to play in the school playgrounds. Those playgrounds were packed on those warm summer nights with kids of all ages playing football, right, hide and seek, marbles and anything else kids played at. A few years later and I remember venturing further away down and across London Rd to explore the derilict houses that lead down to Brammall Lane. We’d enter a boarded up house at the top of a street and work our way down through all the houses - through the lofts - looking for leftover treasures. Never did find owt worth owt but then nobody really had anything of any value back then.

And yeah your right about the Playground at the back of the Cross Guns. It was great. It had the biggest slide I’d ever seen! Then there was the game of knock and run along all those walkways you mention. Oh yes, so much more fun than playing on an Xbox. Oh listen at me, must be getting old. :)

I have the same memories including Glen on the bike. In fact we all went to the hospital to visit him, his leg was in traction for ages.

• 4 months later...

Hi All, I'm new to this site, anyone remember Mr. Buxton, a teacher at Sharrow Lane school between about 1947 & 1958?

He was my husband's favourite teacher & we'd like to find out more about him, his Christian name would be a good start but anything at all would be a great help.

Ken thinks it might have been Harold but he isn't sure, & he was probably in his late 40s or 50s at that time. Thanks.

lovelace.

Hi lovelace - in case this is relevant, the Kelly's directories I have from the 1930s to the 1960s show a "Harold Buxton, schoolmaster" at 7 Huntley Road, Ecclesall. The 1939 Register has a Harold Buxton, schoolmaster, born 7 October 1898, who evidently married Marjory S. Draper in 1930.

Very interested to read this. I wonder if Joe9T's mum remembers Mr Allott's wife Joan and whether or not the couple had any children. I have a friend who thinks she may be related to Joan. My friend is not well at the moment and any information would give her such a boost. Do please get in touch if you have any more information rgreenstreet@btinternet.com

They had two sons, Don and Brian. Don was born about 1939, Brian would be about four years younger. Don sang in St Andrews Choir.

Hi All, I'm new to this site, anyone remember Mr. Buxton, a teacher at Sharrow Lane school between about 1947 & 1958?

He was my husband's favourite teacher & we'd like to find out more about him, his Christian name would be a good start but anything at all would be a great help.

Ken thinks it might have been Harold but he isn't sure, & he was probably in his late 40s or 50s at that time. Thanks.

lovelace.

All of us 1940s kids , the lads, that is, were taught at some stage by Mr Buxton. Jowelled and pock marked, he always had a ruddy complexion and gave off a threatening air and I seem to recall he was fond of the cane. He was one of a small coterie of male teachers headed by Mr Davies, with Mr Willis, Mr Fletcher, Mr Foster , Mr Barnes (music) and Mr Rowland (Art).

Edited by DavidFrance
Additional name