Why have breadrolls...

Bread Rolls are not a northern term, its bread cakes in the north.

Tea cakes follow on from bread cakes in that they do have fruit in them and are designated a treat.

well i am from the north, not this southern town Sheffield. and the rule is simple

cakes have sugar in them

no such thing as bread cakes.

its a BUN.

Hot cross buns are a special recipe. Although they have yeast in them they're a sweet spiced bun, and look and taste nothing like a breadcake (Sheffield), cob (Nottingham), teacake (Barnsely), roll or whatever you want to call it.

People make far too much of local nomenclature. After all, who would call a flat round piece of baked dough, a roll anyway? Which they don't. In London, they call a bread roll a bridge roll and a breadcake is called a Yorkshire Bap, for some weird and unknown reason of their own :huh: Southerners, eh? What are they like! ;)

PS there must already be half a dozen threads like this already. Didn't anything come up on the search when you started the new topic?

well i am from the north, not this southern town Sheffield. and the rule is simple

cakes have sugar in them

no such thing as bread cakes.

its a BUN.

buns also have sugar in em tch

we have bread cakes...........theyre also called bread buns round here (whitby / middlesbrough way) tch

got so many different names up north especially in and around Sheffield? And what are all the names as I seem to hear of a new one all the time. And what constitutes a tea-cake? Is it when its got sultanas in it?

Because people from all over England let alone the UK, Europe and the rest of the World have all settled themselves here in and around God's own City and brought their weird names for bread cakes with them.

Archived