South African far right leader Eugene Terreblanche killed

That interview was extraordinary as I remember it, simply for the raw sense of evil that radiated out from the screen. It sounds fanciful but I don't think I was the only one taken aback by the sheer force of it. I also recall that Theroux himself was a bit thrown by it, and he's met some nasty characters in his time.

I just heard another journalist who'd interviewed him and it was shocking that the guy was keeping everything reasonable and in perspective, and describing a totally inhuman monster. How the hell Terreblanche was living freely in society, he should have been locked up in Broadmoor (or SA equivalent) years ago.

I saw the Theroux weekend and you're right, he's never been that freaked out by anyone else.

I'm racking my brain for an example of civil society and stability in a country that is run completely by black people.

I know thats a very taboo obvervation to make and voice but hey, what the hell.

You'll probably find that the Caucasian introduction to 'civilisation' is relatively recent in the scheme of human existence.

The killing should be seen in a little more context. Since 1994, over 3000 white farmers have been killed by black S. Africans. That's near 10% of the whole white farming population.

Last week the head of the ANC's youth league started singing Dubula Ibhunu (Shoot the Boer) at a rally so this idea that Terreblanche was killed over a "wage dispute" is highly unlikely, or at least not the whole story.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article7078730.ece

I first visited South Africa shortly after Mandela became president. The country was positive, and although far from perfect was aiming for reconcilliation as the way forward. With each changing leader the positive signs have deminished and a policy more akin to Zimbabwe seems to be on the cards. South Africa has so far avoided civil war, but sadly I fear that it was postponed rather than avoided all together.

The country has huge potential but I won't be visiting again.

Its common knowledge the white man didnt start the slave trade.

Afterall, where do you think the trerm rednecks comes from?

That's a little like making excuses for drug dealers because they didn't grow the drugs ;)

So tell us all about your white slaves then and who it was who enslaved them ...

Sorry shims, but GitD is actually right about this one. Slavers generally didn't care what colour their slaves were. There were fewer european slaves but they did exist. They would've mostly been enslaved by Arabs and North Africans. There would've been thousands of them if not hundreds of thousands in the period sort of 1400-1700 or so.

Everyone was active and complicit in the slave trade, not just the ancestors of white people.

Sorry shims, but GitD is actually right about this one. Slavers generally didn't care what colour their slaves were. There were fewer european slaves but they did exist. They would've mostly been enslaved by Arabs and North Africans. There would've been thousands of them if not hundreds of thousands in the period sort of 1400-1700 or so.

Everyone was active and complicit in the slave trade, not just the ancestors of white people.

Wasting your time mate.

What a strange world we live in where some people seem to applaud a murder.

South Africa is an emerging democracy with laws to charge a try people. Condoning the murder of someone without trial is the lynch mob attitude that is akin to saying the law of the land is unnecessary and is the start of a very slippery slope.

The fact that the word 'slave' is derived from 'slav' points to the fact that historically it's not only been a black and white issue.

Archived