Music and growing up

not sure if thats the right terminology to use in my title but here goes.

last night i was on the beer, the missus and kids were out late, so i was banging some choons out on vinyl AND cd

stuff like

joy division - love will tear us apart (vinyl)

godflesh - Jesu (cd)

prince - when doves cry (vinyl)

depeche mode - personal jesus (vinyl)

faithless - insomnia (cd)

japan - i second that emotion (vinyl)

and electro 1

anyway

and the kids kept telling me it was too loud, turn it down???

thats not right is it? kids telling their parents to turn the music down?? it also got me thinking about this generation who are moving into middle / older age.

previously older people listened to stuff like classical and jazz and my dads era its the 50s and 60s stuff cos thats the era they were into.

but now, it seems odd to me that the ones that will be becoming dads and grandads etc are the ones into punk and soon techno etc.

like me, when im 20 or 30 years older ill still be banging out some napalm death or joey beltram which seems a bit extreme for an oldie compared to the likes of the beatles or count basie?

anybody wanna discuss?

last night i was on the beer, the missus and kids were out late, so i was banging some choons out on vinyl AND cd

stuff like

godflesh - Jesu (cd)

and electro 1

anyway

thats not right is it? kids telling their parents to turn the music down?? it also got me thinking about this generation who are moving into middle / older age.

previously older people listened to stuff like classical and jazz and my dads era its the 50s and 60s stuff cos thats the era they were into.

but now, it seems odd to me that the ones that will be becoming dads and grandads etc are the ones into punk and soon techno etc.

like me, when im 20 or 30 years older ill still be banging out some napalm death or joey beltram which seems a bit extreme for an oldie compared to the likes of the beatles or count basie?

anybody wanna discuss?

It probably wasn't the volume that was bothering them, its the fact that the music you were playing is ****e! :hihi:

It probably wasn't the volume that was bothering them, its the fact that the music you were playing is ****e! :hihi:

i have some wham if you prefer, birdie song?

dont think i have any bay city rollers tho :(

stuff like

godflesh - Jesu (cd)

and electro 1

anyway

anybody wanna discuss?

Good choice of music. I have a various collection of sounds from the 50's right upto date.

My neice and nephews laugh at me when i stick some 50's or 80's on. They do however like some of the 80's i play.

If you like electro like myself then try listening to this new electro group. I downloaded the album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlCNuMmGDP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpM7MMPICBw&feature=related

stuff like

godflesh - Jesu (cd)

and electro 1

anyway

anybody wanna discuss?

Yeah funny isn't it? You sound a similar age(ish) to me. Was playing Paul Hardcastle-nnnnnnn......nineteen other day brings back memories from '85.

I remember the 3 day week / power cuts / general strike / winter of discontent / going to bed by candle light & think we had a bit of a struggle growing up. It always makes me wonder what tales the modern youth will be telling their kids......we had to make do when I was a kid with 2 cars only, one each for Mum & dad. We only had a 42" hd tv, sky+ hd, digital tv & radio and a tv in each room...you can just imagine them telling their kids they don't know they're born!:hihi::hihi:

stuff like

godflesh - Jesu (cd)

and electro 1

anyway

anybody wanna discuss?

Hahah .. we're the same. We have both vinyl decks and cdj's and regularly have music nights ... from old soul/jazz/funk to the new and housey/funky.

At 49 this year my music taste is still developing .. yes I still like listening to the stuff I heard when I was a teen, but there is also a lot of blummin good stuff out there now, particularly Hip Hop.

The music will always be in me ...

i suppose in a nutshell what im trying to say is that as music gets louder, faster and noisier (

anybody? lol)

it seems weird that future grandads and grandmas are going to still be into it as opposed to the older generations that had (to us anyway) softer more gentler styles of music.

same with films instead on a sunday future grandmas and grandads will be watching stuff like pulp fiction, this is england and saw instead of the sound of music and john wayne films

Hahah .. we're the same. We have both vinyl decks and cdj's and regularly have music nights ... from old soul/jazz/funk

heh talking of soul think im gonna have to dig out my booker t and the mgs - green onions lp (original vinyl) after stumbling on the song on youtube yesterday :P

Archived