Top Tory wants to deny Gay couples access to B and B’s

someone posted on another thread that she tells the hotel that she is in a same sex relationship when she books, is that unreasonable? I think its fairly sensible.

it's none of the business of the B&B/ Hotel. I think it's unreasonable.

"hello, its P-Lain Talker here. I want to book a double room in your hotel.

oh, we are married, BTW...."

It's a bit unnecessary, and a bit outdated, really, when we are in the 21st century.

There will be many gay couples who have experienced discrimination like this and it's like water off a duck's back. Conversely, there will be others who will be pee'd off about it and they are entitled to be so.

In my business I've dealt with racists and xenophobes, people who I wouldnt choose as friends, but there's no legitimacy as far as Im concerned in refusing to deal with them, provided their behaviour has no bearing on me directly.

I believe it's unreasonable to expect gay couples to announce the fact to anybody, it's embarrassing, potentially humiliating and frankly nobody's business.

A B&B owner should restrict his interest to the behaviour of people and whether it materially affects his property or other guests. If they're gay and behaving anti socially, then chuck em out the same way you would heterosexual guests.

its a fair point.

The only time i would expect a gay couple to tell the owner of the bnb that they are a gay couple is if this law is implemented then the owner make it clear on their website or in some way that they do not welcome gay couples and the couple make it clear in their booking that they are gay.

it's none of the business of the B&B/ Hotel. I think it's unreasonable.

"hello, its P-Lain Talker here. I want to book a double room in your hotel.

oh, we are married, BTW...."

It's a bit unnecessary, and a bit outdated, really, when we are in the 21st century.

We are in the 21st centuary but some people aren't and I just thought it would be easier than feeling incredibly uncomfortable when they are on their stay and feeling uncomfortable because the landlord treats them differently.

I'd rather find someplace else to stay because i had booked a room in a christian bnb and they for some reason thought i was a devil worshipper because i wear black than ending up being treated differently during my stay.

Do they not?

No, they don't. None of them warrent being discriminated against for. Are you saying they are valid reasons to discriminate?

So, I can say to a dark skinned, diasbled, Asain gay man 'I refuse to serve you because I don't like you' and I will not be accused of:

Racial discrimination - dark skinned

Homopobic discrimination - gay man

Discrimination against disabled persons

And possibly sexist because he's a man (a bit tenuous, but still possible).

I must have moved to another planet, because I am pretty sure each of those instances would be easy to use as discrimination.

Bold - exactly why you'd be accused of all of the above.

Certainly, I doubt the gay, Asian, dark-skinned disabled man would accept my dislike of him as being just that and not press to discover that I had some problem with dark-skinned persons or gays or disabled people or Asians.

It's all relevant when you consider the 'give a valid reason' for refusal to serve a person.

I, personally, in business am happy to take the money of anyone, even people I really do not like at all.

But, inviting them to my house for a meal....?

It's in the post. Honest ;)

In the context of a B&B, how could you take an instant dislike upon first meeting someone, and then refuse based on a first impression? It's unlikely, which is why it's a tenuous excuse for their predjudices.

We are in the 21st centuary but some people aren't and I just thought it would be easier than feeling incredibly uncomfortable when they are on their stay and feeling uncomfortable because the landlord treats them differently.

I'd rather find someplace else to stay because i had booked a room in a christian bnb and they for some reason thought i was a devil worshipper because i wear black than ending up being treated differently during my stay.

Exactly, GC, they were being "Goth-ist!" * tremble* Ooh she wears black clothes. How evil :hihi:

The legislation for businesses has to apply to all businesses, not only ones that are not sharing space with a private residence.

Not unless being friends has somehow become a business.

It depends doesn't it, on whether you dislike them for the group they are in, or whether you dislike them for reasons specific to themselves.

Yes, that's true.

Prove that it's discrimination? An individual couldn't. I suppose if someone were to try to gather evidence they'd send in representatives of various groups and see if there was a pattern in who you took an immediate dislike to.

A B&B is a business as well as a home. In fact, it is a home run as a business. I have always found it confusing that you are not allowed to discriminate, but you can advertise rooms operating a 'no-smoking' establishment or 'pet-free'. There's blatant discrimination and then there is the more subtle variety.

OK, say the son/daughter's friends, who are gay, want to stay the night because they've missed the last bus or had a bit too much to drink or whatever and the parents, who are Catholic, say no (because they have an issue with gays due to their religion). If the couple offer to pay, knowing there is a room vacant, and stll the parents refuse, what then?

See? It blurs the issue. It's not clear cut.

Personally, I do not have a problem with any business refusing to do business with anyone or any group, providing they are open and up front about it. More fool them for turning down cash, but that's their choice.

its a fair point.

The only time i would expect a gay couple to tell the owner of the bnb that they are a gay couple is if this law is implemented then the owner make it clear on their website or in some way that they do not welcome gay couples and the couple make it clear in their booking that they are gay.

but they should not need to have to point that out, GC they should just be allowed to be "people".

A B&B is a business as well as a home. In fact, it is a home run as a business. I have always found it confusing that you are not allowed to discriminate, but you can advertise rooms operating a 'no-smoking' establishment or 'pet-free'. There's blatant discrimination and then there is the more subtle variety.

OK, say the son/daughter's friends, who are gay, want to stay the night because they've missed the last bus or had a bit too much to drink or whatever and the parents, who are Catholic, say no (because they have an issue with gays due to their religion). If the couple offer to pay, knowing there is a room vacant, and stll the parents refuse, what then?

See? It blurs the issue. It's not clear cut.

Personally, I do not have a problem with any business refusing to do business with anyone or any group, providing they are open and up front about it. More fool them for turning down cash, but that's their choice.

but in that particular scenario, it's not an actual business. this case was.

I never suggested you did, I was pointing out why your analogy was worthless.

Correction... why in your opinion my analogy was worthless. You always assume yours is the only valid opinion. In the real world the silent majority probably don't agree with you.

Archived