Top Tory wants to deny Gay couples access to B and B’s

either way its a reputation and its enough for some people to base a view on be it right or wrong. Gay people are seen as being more promiscuous (sp?) by alot of people.

They can see them however they like but they can't act on their preconceptions towards gay customers if they're running a business, thankfully.

But gay people do have a reputation for spending their holidays picking up strangers in public toilets and taking them back to their hotel for sexual activities many people find distasteful. IMO B & B owners should have the right to refuse to accept people like that.
I suppose straight people just sup their coffee then leave:hihi:

its a fair point.

The only time i would expect a gay couple to tell the owner of the bnb that they are a gay couple is if this law is implemented then the owner make it clear on their website or in some way that they do not welcome gay couples and the couple make it clear in their booking that they are gay.

The B&B owners would be breaking the law right from the start by making that clear.

Lol, sorry couldn't resist.

Did you read my post #209? Was wondering if you could provide comment about the various arguments put forward at the time when B&Bs would have been able to put a sign out saying "No Blacks", or more specifically put forward around the time such attitudes started to largely disappear? I couldn't say for sure as it was before my time, but I bet the same sort of arguments were made back then. Sorry, this is assuming you're old enough to remember.

Sadly Im well old enough to remember scuba, I once had a very miserable evening traipsing around Wembley with my grandfather and being (politely) told by guest house owners that they had no vacancies (despite notices to the contrary). The woman that eventually took us in was lovely, and I still have the smell of parma violets hard wired in my memory as a positive :)

I'm hoping my view on this issue isn't being swayed by my personal experiences though, but I guess the 'no blacks' thing is very similar to the discrimination against gays.

I'm sure there are lots of black folks who make horrendous house guests, I wouldn't want to put some members of my family up even for payment! But to have a blanket ban on a race or group of people just because of who they are rather than how they behave really rankles with me.

Other posters have suggested that concessions be made by gays to facilitate the sensitivities of homophobic B&B owners, I firmly disagree-it's that kind of behaviour that endorses the mindset of these people, they should be told firmly that if they're unable to accommodate all reasonable, law abiding guests that they need to find another way to generate income.

A B&B is a business as well as a home. In fact, it is a home run as a business. I have always found it confusing that you are not allowed to discriminate, but you can advertise rooms operating a 'no-smoking' establishment or 'pet-free'. There's blatant discrimination and then there is the more subtle variety.

It's not discrimination unless you don't allow smokers to stay, as opposed to not allowing them to smoke, and likewise pet owners would be allowed to stay, just not to bring pets.

OK, say the son/daughter's friends, who are gay, want to stay the night because they've missed the last bus or had a bit too much to drink or whatever and the parents, who are Catholic, say no (because they have an issue with gays due to their religion). If the couple offer to pay, knowing there is a room vacant, and stll the parents refuse, what then?

if they run a B&B then they've broken the law on discrimination, if they don't run a B&B then business legislation doesn't apply.

See? It blurs the issue. It's not clear cut.

No, it's pretty clear and straight forward, no matter how hard you try.

Personally, I do not have a problem with any business refusing to do business with anyone or any group, providing they are open and up front about it. More fool them for turning down cash, but that's their choice.

Fortunately most people no longer find it acceptable for businesses to put up signs saying "no blacks, no irish, no gays".

But gay people do have a reputation for spending their holidays picking up strangers in public toilets and taking them back to their hotel for sexual activities many people find distasteful.

You really need to stop taking that kind of holiday before you get caught Gordy ;)

It's quite simple isn't it? You were comparing chalk with cheese. Holiday companies ban stag parties because of their experience of the behaviour of some of them which is disadvantageous to the company. If holiday companies had similar experiences with gay people then your analogy would be relevant. But as far as I know gay couples dont have a reputation for trashing hotel rooms or throwing up in communal areas.

You always assume yours is (probably) the only valid opinion.

Spot on. Banning stag parties isn't prejudiced, as they are not being pre-judged. They have (in some cases) a history of getting drunk and trashing places, therefore it is based on evidence and not discriminatory to the same extent. There's a subtle difference.

Archived