Top Tory wants to deny Gay couples access to B and B’s

what would the policy of a posh hotel be if they thought a couple had booked a room for a bit of lunch-time shenanigans.

do people still having trouble 'booking under assumed names' ? and if they do, is it also a form of discrimination?

(and the idea of a criminal offence along the lines of Incitement to Mince is going to keep me amused for the rest of the day. "The defendant wilfully and deliberately stroked my arm, called me 'dearie' in an aggressive manner, then threatened to air kiss me before escaping in what can only be described as a 'huff' " lol.)

But in both those examples jeremy, the individuals are refused entry because of their behaviour-nobody has an issue with that and Muslims or gays have no special dispensation for the excesses of inappropriate behaviour.

The difference in the OP and where it troubles the law, is that the individuals behaviour is irrelevant, they are refused entry because of who they are and the B&B owner states that as his reason.

I think homophobia/racism are abhorrent, but accept that people are entitled to hold those views but I agree with others-if you're unable to operate a B&B within the law, then it would be daft to be involved in that sector, the law on discrimination is hardly new or a discrete part of legislation.

exactly, boyfriday:-

If you as a fellow human, have the right to receive goods and services without me saying "No I'm not serving you, you are an *insert the favourite racist epithet from Love Thy Neighbour here..." then why is it a fellow human who happens to be gay can be told "No I'm not serving you, you're a 'queer'!"

In the public sector there should be no discrimination at all because the public services are paid for by us all, so we all are entitled work for, and use them.

But i think that people who own and run their own private companies shouldn't be criminalized for being discriminatory.

exactly, boyfriday:-

If you as a fellow human, have the right to receive goods and services without me saying "No I'm not serving you, you are an *insert the favourite racist epithet from Love Thy Neighbour here..." then why is it a fellow human who happens to be gay can be told "No I'm not serving you, you're a 'queer'!"

But that dramatic version of events didn't actually happen did it?

Or you can accept that this may be a personal opinion, one that many will disagree with, me included.

I'm getting a bit worried about you serapis, I've always believed you to be a true Tory supporter but over the last couple of weeks I've read you agree that it is wrong to stop building new schools whilst giving Cameron and his friends pot loads of money, I've seen you acknowledge the principles of Communism look good on paper and now you agree with me that the personal opinion of this person on this issue is wrong.

You are starting to sound more left-wing than me these days!

Anyway, back to the thread and another post you made, this guy holds probably the third highest ranking position in the Party, if the Tories are elected he is responsible for ensuring there is no discrimantion against Gay people when it is clear he doesn't support this bit of legislation, why should anyone believe that this bigoted viewpoint doesn't stretch to other groups.

As an aside, we are about to hold the Olympics in a couple of years and hopefully the World Cup in the future, what will he put in the advertising literature for Bed and Breakfast accommodation, everyone welcome except Gays.

It's a bigoted opinion and Cameron should do the honourable thing and replace him.

In the public sector there should be no discrimination at all because the public services are paid for by us all, so we all are entitled work for, and use them.

But i think that people who own and run their own private companies shouldn't be criminalized for being discriminatory.

So you think certain types of people should be denied the services of private companies.

Archived