Boys from The Blackstuff

I sense sarcasm there but I can't be sure. Our railways are long overdue properly focussed investment, which of course we can't rely on private companies to deliver. Opening minor stations is a step forward required to moving a significant number of people off the roads. Once we have a decent railway system it'll be far easier to meet environmental criteria. It makes sense. Our current system is unsustainable.

Besides, councils will still have money to spend on roads in the worst cases.

Too right you can sense sarcasm. In a fluffy bunny kind of world people will only use trains and buses, but we don't live like that. No Government will be able to push people out of their cars - we are creatures of habit. Sure, go ahead and make a start on it, but to neglect roads will cause bigger problems in the country and I think it's a blinkered approach.

This however warrants a thread of its own, this thread is dedicated to Boys from the Blackstuff.

Fully agree with you Jabs.

The thing that baffles me though is that after living through previous recessions and found them devastating.

Why has this one seemed to have passed me by ? :huh: :huh:

That's probably because the Government has borrowed on an unprecedented scale so that the plebs can think nothing has changed but in reality our grandkids will be repaying the debt.

Archived