Great Barrier Reef oil disaster fear from stricken ship

I'd be very interested indeed to read the data/intelligence which prompted you to make that comment.

I don't have a great deal of experience in your area of expertise (and indeed, I only spent a few months on that desk after qualifying.)

I do look forward to reading your analyses.

you're a troll, probably a chinese troll. so it's no surprise you're trying to obfuscate and deny.

deffo china getting a shot in at the Aussies, probably over the Rio Tinto bribery fuss. don't mess with china.

Am i right in thinking these ships would have a sophisticated enough guidance system as to avoid such an error?.......considering the raw value of it's cargo i don't think the owners would be too pleased to lose it all.

Sounds more like a shortcut was being taken and went wrong....money will always come before nature, that is the way of our human society....and believe me if china have human rights issues, they will not give a damn about the barrier reef...

Am i right in thinking these ships would have a sophisticated enough guidance system as to avoid such an error?.......considering the raw value of it's cargo i don't think the owners would be too pleased to lose it all.

Sounds more like a shortcut was being taken and went wrong....money will always come before nature, that is the way of our human society....and believe me if china have human rights issues, they will not give a damn about the barrier reef...

I agree with you. But ... There is always a but. The more sophisticated a ship the more there is to go wrong with it. A simple wiring fault could be enough to send a ship way off course.

I still agree with you - that it was likely they chose to risk a short cut, and the risk did not pay off.

I agree with you. But ... There is always a but. The more sophisticated a ship the more there is to go wrong with it. A simple wiring fault could be enough to send a ship way off course.

I still agree with you - that it was likely they chose to risk a short cut, and the risk did not pay off.

All depends how much fault tolerance was built into the systems. Im actually going to look into this, considering it could have grave consequences for the region IF it breaks up.

Im also notice they are arguing the toss with the Mekong river. The way that country is acting of late has me worried, maybe they have already decided on major expansion and should it cost lives....so be it.

Let me see what i can find out about those ships and if this could have been a systems failure or not.

Not had much time to investigate other than to track the ship codes so will try to do so later.

There is growing doubt as to systems failures or even human error as it is coming to light the number of times this is used as a shortcut.

Saying that im assuming a ship of this size has multiple engines, redundancy backups, maybe even trackers in case of piracy or theft of cargo etc, so even just sending out a mayday or broadcasting trouble with the ship would have been part of the captains routine in these types of situation.

As per usual things like this have to happen before governments take action, and lets hope this time they make it law to have guides, and a heavier offence to cross into the protected area.

China is really starting to show it's true nature and it's reminding me of pre war germany.

Archived