Tax and tax money back help

Hiya,

Can anybody help me please.

I've not had much luck with getting jobs this year. I'm 26. I've only really been employed for about 3 months. I'm currently out of a job as well. For the 3 months I was employed I was paying full tax.

I think I've probably only made £4000 max this year.

Is there a limit for how much you can earn and get your tax back. I heard if you earnt under 4000ish in 09/10 tax year can you apply to get your tax that you've paid back from the tax office.

I could really do with the money back because I've just been evicted from my house!

Not good times :(

Could anybody help with any advice? thank you so much xx

If all you earnt was around £4,000, then the Revenue will owe you all the tax you paid this year. You may not get it until late May-ish, which is when the P60-equivalent forms usually get sent out for people not in work.

I don't know if there is a procedure for you to apply to have it paid back any earlier than that. There ought to be.

What is your tax code? How much did you earn? It's a simple sum.

The tax year has ended (or is just about to.)

Contact your local tax office. I'm sure they'll do everything they can to help you. In my experience, they are pretty helpful people - especially when you really need help.

Do you know anywhere where it says an official figure Headingnorth?

I'm assuming you were on a bog-standard tax code; your pay slips from your job, if you still have one, would confirm that. If so, your personal allowance is £6475 and as long as you earnt less than that between last April and now, you should have paid zero tax this year, so you will be owed a refund.

This is the Inland Revenue's webpage about how to claim a tax refund.

Archived