Airsoft - where to go?

Just a quick query on the post above re purchasing airsoft rifles....

Does the new legislation mean you have to purchase non-luminously painted markers through a club like yourself? What do you mean 'proof'?

I'm not forcing debate - I've been airsofting a few times and it's great fun, but not been in the loop for a good few years so don't know where I stand now with purcahsing airsoft replicas.

Ta

Odd

To help out here, and in order:

1) As I said in post No1, I have no interest in any of the above sites, although I am a member of a couple for UKARA* registration purposes, and I have been involved for "quite a while" now.

2) "Proof" is defined by HM gov't, who gave a "defence" in the "Violent Crime Reduction Act" (VCRA) to "legitimate" airsoft skirmishers.

To legally sell a "Realistic Imitation Firearm" (RIF) the vendor has to satisfy themselves that the purchaser is a legitimate skirmisher...

...this is generally (although not exclusively) by the purchaser being registered with UKARA.

To legally import a RIF, the purchaser has to satisfy HM Customs that they are a legitimate skirmisher...

...again this is generally (although not exclusively) by the purchaser being registered with UKARA.

To legally manufacture a RIF, the purchaser has to satisfy the Police that they are a legitimate skirmisher...

...again this is generally (although not exclusively) by the manufacturer being registered with UKARA.

A RIF which is more than 50% a bright colour is considered an "Imitation Firearm" (IF), notice the "Realistic" has now been dropped. None of the above apply to IFs.

Painting an IF realistic colours is considered as manufacturing, and hence extremely unwise, unless you can avail yourself of "the defence".

In any case, the purchaser, of a RIF or IF must be over 18 years old.

If you already own a RIF the VCRA does not affect you, unless you wish to sell it, then the above apply.

3) To purchase (import or manufacture) you must be able to prove a reason (the "defence"), the most common is registration through the "United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association" (*UKARA), which validates a players legitimate status in order to protect thier members in selling RIFs. This is by being a member of a site that is registered with UKARA, and has liability insurance. If you want to know more about site/club membership, ask at one of the sites you play at, but registration does take more than 2 months, and will require at least 3 game days at the same site/club. Once you have a "defence" you can prove that you can be sold to by any retailer in the UK, and/or import and/or manufacture, you don't have to do this through the site/club that you belong to.

NONE OF THE ABOVE ARE MY RULES, THEY WERE IMPOSED BY HM GOVERNMENT IN THE VCRA AND ITS SUPPORTING GUIDANCE.

also,

NONE OF THE ABOVE IS NEGOTIABLE, OR OPEN TO DEBATE, IT'S THE LAW.

Hope the above is of use to anyone who wasn't sure about the current status of airsoft, sorry if it sounds a bit officious, but it does concern the law, and if you get it wrong, the consequences could be very serious!

• 2 months later...

I'm in talks to go there in early November 2010 for a day game. There's 3 of us local to Sheff/R'ham, and we will be hooking up with an Irish contingent coming over the water for the occasion. I may have 1 or 2 spare (car) seats available, if anyone is interested (1 or 2 = depends on player size ;)). Note game will be low/mid caps only.

I would like to say a big big big thankyou to this thread. I was thinking of organizing paintballing for my birthday activity b4 going out after being battered and bruised and was pleased to see the previous thread on the best paintballing sites, then I discovered you mentioned Airsoft. I thought what is that? Ive looked at the sites and it looks excellant I put the choices on my event page and even my friends have chosen airsoft (which I wanted :hihi:)

Never been paintballing never done this and I know Im in for a good time, though as a friend has said I bet it gets quite competitive with the men :roll:

but thanx again 'Shark' xxxx

Have good game L00b, and don't forget to report back on your experience of the site...

...probably not many will make the journey from Sheffield all the way to Reading, but I know some who have, and enjoyed it, so ya never know!

Thanks for the kind words emma.82, I just hope you really enjoy the day when it is arranged.

If either of you (or anyone else from SF for that matter) do go to a game nearby, don't forget to let us know on this thread, we can say "Hi!" to each other if we happen to be there at the same time. :D

• 4 weeks later...
What the best site on here

Different sites offer different things to different people...

...just like different people prefer different pubs.

Decide whether you want to play woodland, CQB, or urban...

...then book into one you like the look of!

• 4 weeks later...
Have good game L00b, and don't forget to report back on your experience of the site...
Got to give it a miss, due to last-minute work commitments. Ah well :(

Will try and give BritTac's Sheffield CQB a go this side of Xmas, I've yet to try out my KSC USPc in anger (erm...they do walk-on + AEG rentals & sell BBs and green gas, don't they?)

I would just like to put you right about 1 thing. The Woodland site which Brit-tac airsoft use is actually the site owned by Barnsley Paintball and airsoft. Brit-tac only rent it on special days by request.

Hmmm, and if there was any sign of them running airsoft games there since February I might have already added a link to that site on this thread...

...but since there isn't, thanks for nowt!

Archived