Celebrity endorsements - do they work?

I was just pondering the aftermath of Tiger Woods' indiscretions and the fact that some of his major sponsors either sidelined him or dropped him completely.

Presumably they thought that a man choosing a razor and reaching for a Gillette would hesitate and think:

"Hmmm, Tiger Woods had an affair, if I buy this razor does it mean I condone his actions? Will I also have an affair? Does his affair mean this razor won't trim my face fungus? Hmmmm....better buy a disposable BIC instead."

Have you thrown away your Gillettes since his fall from grace?

Would any celebrity endorsement encourage you to buy a certain product? It must work for some people or else how could you explain the multi millions companies spend just to get some sportsman or actor to pose with a coffee machine.

Isn't it just a bit bonkers?

Depends who the celeb is I suppose. In today's world where everyone is under the constant glare of the media, it is increasingly difficuilt for sponsors to pick somebody who will act as a 'paragon of virtue' and not commit too many transgressions.

I think the local alley cat has probably committed less transgressions in his life then old Woodsy has in the last couple of months!

I was just pondering the aftermath of Tiger Woods' indiscretions and the fact that some of his major sponsors either sidelined him or dropped him completely.

Presumably they thought that a man choosing a razor and reaching for a Gillette would hesitate and think:

"Hmmm, Tiger Woods had an affair, if I buy this razor does it mean I condone his actions? Will I also have an affair? Does his affair mean this razor won't trim my face fungus? Hmmmm....better buy a disposable BIC instead."

Have you thrown away your Gillettes since his fall from grace?

Would any celebrity endorsement encourage you to buy a certain product? It must work for some people or else how could you explain the multi millions companies spend just to get some sportsman or actor to pose with a coffee machine.

Isn't it just a bit bonkers?

A celebrity endorsement doesn't work as an endorsement to the product.

It may have done several decades ago when the general public were not continuously bombarded by such endorsements.

However, the endorsment by a celebrity does raise the profie of a brand, and ultimately results in more sales. Although in some cases, not for the right reasons! :hihi::thumbsup:.

Almost everything is endorsed these days and agencies have specific celebrities on their books that are focused on certain groups. Do not think of it as a product that is being endorsed, it’s a lifestyle which is very different and ultimately more powerful.

The biggest and most known is Brand Beckham.

Word of mouth celebrity endorsements really do work.

When I worked for the Body shop, whenever J-Lo or Victoria Beckham said they used Shea Body Butter, sales would go up 750% Once they both said it on the same day and practically all stores sold out.

Word of mouth celebrity endorsements really do work.

When I worked for the Body shop, whenever J-Lo or Victoria Beckham said they used Shea Body Butter, sales would go up 750% Once they both said it on the same day and practically all stores sold out.

Oh my gosh! are people really still that thick!!? :(

Archived