Celebrity endorsements - do they work?

Apparently so- Delia Smith once caused a national shortage of limes and cranberries.

But the thing with cranberries was that she was showing the great British public a relatively new and unknown product. She is a cook and she enthused about an ingredient. If she'd have told everyone to use a certain type of toilet paper or sanitary product I'm not sure there would have been such a rush to empty the Sainsbury shelves. I certainly wouldn't have followed her advice.:P

But the thing with cranberries was that she was showing the great British public a relatively new and unknown product. She is a cook and she enthused about an ingredient. If she'd have told everyone to use a certain type of toilet paper or sanitary product I'm not sure there would have been such a rush to empty the Sainsbury shelves. I certainly wouldn't have followed her advice.:P

She also spoke about a particular omelette pan, IIRC, and that sold out as well.

I'm sure it must work, or the agencies wouldn't bother employing the celebs.

It's not without risk, 'though. I recall an actor in America (not sure who, I can't remember - maybe Jeff Bridges?), who had endorsed some financial product. He was subsequently sued by someone who had lost money, when the product failed. By associating himself with the product, the claim was that he had enticed people with promises he failed to keep. I don't know the outcome, I just remember, vaguely, an item in the news. I'll do a search.

I also think Carol Vordaman lost a bit of good will and credibility after advertising that loan shark company. After coming across as a brainy woman she was then seen to sell out to a dodgy loan company who advertises between episodes of Jerry Springer, Maury whatsisname and Jeremy Kyle on daytime tv.

We'll also draw a veil over her performance as strident, screeching Tory Girrl on Question Time.

She also spoke about a particular omelette pan, IIRC, and that sold out as well.

I'm sure it must work, or the agencies wouldn't bother employing the celebs.

It's not without risk, 'though. I recall an actor in America (not sure who, I can't remember - maybe Jeff Bridges?), who had endorsed some financial product. He was subsequently sued by someone who had lost money, when the product failed. By associating himself with the product, the claim was that he had enticed people with promises he failed to keep. I don't know the outcome, I just remember, vaguely, an item in the news. I'll do a search.

My bold

That's probably because she's a cook and people believe her when she says a particular item is good.

It's a far cry from somebody being persuaded to buy a certain brand of underpants because a celebrity wears them or use a particular skin cream for the same reason. Unless said celebrities are fully qualified and have years of experience in the fields of pants and face creams. :hihi:

Archived