Election to be announced tomorrow for Thursday 6th May.

I just looked up Donuticus' question but Heading North beat me, but here is the link with random election facts (it seems wrong to call it trivia). Apparently the Thursday thing is convention not law, but I expect keeping it away from the weekend is a good idea anyway because most people are more likely to be in their standard registered location.

Questions answered:

What are we voting for?

Who can vote?

Who is banned from voting?

How do I vote?

What about postal votes?

If I live abroad, can I vote?

What about disabled voters?

Is my vote secret?

How can I become a candidate?

How do I find out party policy?

Who organises the election?

Can parties spend extra money?

What rules does the BBC follow

When will the vote happen?

How does the system work?

What if PM loses his seat?

How do I register to vote?

What is on the ballot paper?

What about proxy votes?

Is it compulsory to vote?

What about illiterate voters?

Who can stand as a candidate?

How can I set up a party?

How much can candidates spend?

How much can parties spend?

Where is the money from?

Why are elections on Thursdays?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/vote_2005/basics/4351315.stm

I’ve only checked as far back as 1955 but you are right, all General Elections have been held on a Thursday from at least that date forward.

I believe it goes back two centuries or more, though I can't be certain. And I did think there was actually a law on the books, but apparently not.

The reverse was more likely to happen - if Brown forgot, or refused, to call an election by the end of next week the Queen would dissolve Parliament anyway. His time is up.

he could probably go on for a couple more weeks before the legal limit expired

if Brown does nothing then parliament would dissolve automatically on midnight of may 10th as this is five years from it's formation

the election would then have to be held by june 3rd

he could probably go on for a couple more weeks before the legal limit expired

I believe that there has to be three weeks' notice; the election can't be any later than five years after the last one, which was 5th May 2005, so 6th May 2010 is the latest possible date (in fact it's a day overdue, but maybe there's a little slippage allowed due to Thursdays). Which gives us - if I'm right about giving notice - April 16th as the last possible date on which Parliament could be dissolved. So yes, he'd have a week in hand yet.

I don't actually know what happens if a ruling Government simply does not request a general election. No Government in history has ever attempted it, although they have passed an Act postponing the election in times of national emergency - World War Two being the last example, when it was decided not to hold a general election in 1940. Probably a wise move.

In theory, if a Government tries to postpone the election without a good reason for doing so, it's up to the monarch to dissolve Parliament and call one anyway. This is one reason why abolishing the monarchy would be a seriously bad idea; perhaps the only good reason.

Archived