Anyone had their teeth whitened (gel) and it not worked?

Hi all,

I'm curious and miffed! I'm on week 2 of my teeth whitening. Mouth trays fitted by a dentist and gel applied at night.

I have seen no difference in my teeth a tall. They wern't that bad to start with but they are no whiter than they were before i started! I've follwed the instructions and done exactly as the dentist said.

I feel conned as it was a lot of money and just wondered if anyone else had the same experience?

If so why were you told it hadn't worked?!

I'm ringing the dentist in the am!!

x

I discussed having mine whitened with the dentist a few years ago and was told that I could pay for it if I wanted, but that nothing would whiten my teeth because what I think is staining is actually a part of my enamel and the only option which would make them any whiter is to have veneers, which is way too expensive to consider.

Is your discolouration due to anything specific, or have your teeth always been the same colour?

I discussed having mine whitened with the dentist a few years ago and was told that I could pay for it if I wanted, but that nothing would whiten my teeth because what I think is staining is actually a part of my enamel and the only option which would make them any whiter is to have veneers, which is way too expensive to consider.

Is your discolouration due to anything specific, or have your teeth always been the same colour?

My teeth are nice, not much discolouration, just the normal yellowness on some. I'm happy with them and have no fillings (ie ive always looked after them)

My dentist suggested they would look lovely whiter and i was a great candidate for bleaching as they would come up even nicer!?! hmmm:mad:

I know lots of people who've had it done and they look fab, mine look no different and are definatley NOT whiter!!

x

Then it could be that, like me, you have some natural yellowness inside the enamel which won't bleach out from the surface of the teeth. The discolouration in my enamel is due to a course of oxytetracycline antibiotics when I was very young and my teeth were still forming and this is permanent (and is one of the reasons that these antibiotics are very rarely used in children these days). Like you, my teeth are in very good condition and I'd rather have them a little yellowed and healthy rather than perfectly white and full of decay or fillings.

I'd suggest talking to your dentist, but since it seems like they may be part of the issue ;)

Hi all,

I'm curious and miffed! I'm on week 2 of my teeth whitening. Mouth trays fitted by a dentist and gel applied at night.

I have seen no difference in my teeth a tall. They wern't that bad to start with but they are no whiter than they were before i started! I've follwed the instructions and done exactly as the dentist said.

I feel conned as it was a lot of money and just wondered if anyone else had the same experience?

If so why were you told it hadn't worked?!

I'm ringing the dentist in the am!!

x

I don't think any dentist would guarantee Whiteness of your teeth unless they were veneered. If he sold you the treatment then you'll be liable to a refund...that's if you got a guarantee.

I use a gel brought in from the States...works great but not permanent because of the obvious...coffee, wine etc. and only treat them once every 5 months or so.

Short term solution...Radiator paint.

Archived