Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Hi Guys

I am new to this wonderful forum and would like to add my memories of Radio Hallam if I may?. I used to live in Doncaster but would travel to visit my big sis who lived at Wincobank, whilst there I would always tune in to Radio Hallam. In the coming months/years I would often make a special trip to the studios, which were based in the local newspaper building if I remember correctly. I got to know Johnny Moran quite well and sat in on his Brekky show many times. I also became friends with the lovely Jean Doyle who presented a Jazz show amongst other things, she was a real gem. What ever happened to Freddie J Allen?, where is he now the big butch devil?

I too would be very interested in hearing any old recordings of Hallam shows as well as those little ditties that went between the songs (jingles). So if anyone has anything they would like to share, that would be abasolutely fantastic, sure it would bring back all kinds of memories.

Finally, so pleased I stumbled across your wonderful forum site, and I hope you will welcome me with open arms lol.

Thanks....The Slaphead

P.S I noticed Tim Finlay didn't mention his leather pants in his post, very fetching Tim, also, you can now hear Tim on KCFM 99.8 on Sunday mornings.

"I too would be very interested in hearing any old recordings of Hallam shows as well as those little ditties that went between the songs (jingles). So if anyone has anything they would like to share, that would be abasolutely fantastic, sure it would bring back all kinds of memories."

Oh Go on then, help yourself.:thumbsup:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mawlkw

Hi Marky Baby

Absolutely adored the Radio Hallam jingles, oh, the memories (and tears) came flooding back as I placed my movements in Sheffield to the jingles way back then. Great to hear the late Ray Stuart, a big guy with a big voice, Keith Skues never sounds any different does he. I loved Keith's personal jingle "Keith Screws", didn't he have another one centred around a "mock" recording session that went along the lines of..."Keith snooze, Keith scuze...don't upset me howard (?) I'm trying...Keith Skues" ?, could be mistaken but seem to recall something like that.

Anyway Marky Baby, thank you so much for sharing those wonderful gems and if you have anything further that would help bring back the memories please post them or contact me directly as I love certainly love to hear them again.

The Slaphead

P.S Got any "Great Revived 45 Show" memories, or anything on Freddie J Allen (my favourite) please?

I have to agree with all of you, Radio Hallam was g8 in the 70s and 80s. would love to hear the old hallam jingles again if anyone has any of them.

If you go on "youtube.com" type in radio hallam there is the original ytv calendar report by Austin Mitchel of the opening day of Radio Hallam.(Posted by ex Hallam staff Mike lindsey i think)

Dean Pepple,Gerry kersey,Howard Pressman and Dians Luke are all on BBC Radio sheffield Now. Quite good the station has had a make over,not like it used to be lost dogs and gardening progs. Martin Kelner has just move to Real Radio Yorkshire.

Over the past few months I have been composing a mail to put out on the web

Which and I stress is my personal views on the state of broadcasting in the UK.

My opinion has changed a little whilst listening to my BBC local radio station.

It has gone through a few major changers in the last few months and I think for the better but to my dismay I found on the radio today website the listening figures had dropped.

The company that owns the commercial local radio station is also in trouble having to net work programs and make staff redundant.

Personally don’t have a lot of sympathy because of the format they broadcast.

The forgotten generation.

As a mobile dj I have a lot of contact with people of all ages and have found I can’t stereotype people. I have found that not everyone over thirty wants the oldies or all the youngsters want the top 40 format. Variety is the spice of life.

Surely when the face of British radio changed in the late 80’s the company’s did some sort of audience research.

BBC RADIO Two is the most popular radio station in Britain. Surely it’s not just the personalities but the variety of the music out put.

I personally want a locally broadcast station that gives me a variety of music.

For many years now my BBC local radio station has appealed to the over 50’s with a very middle class image.

My BBC local station has changed for the better but it has still got the middle class image and people I have spoken to still think the air time is filled with gardening phone-in shows etc. I have found that this is not the case.

BBC local radio needs to change this image with its new style of programming then may be a new generation of listeners will tune in.

thought i would post this here because is sort of ties in with what you are all saying about the GOOD OLD DAYS of RADIO HALLAM I MISS IT!

Please email me if you want to chat or rant about the state of british broadcasting of anything else for that matter.ill reply when ever i can.

no one will give me a phon-in show or chat show may be because i talk a load of c*** but it never stoped scotty mc clue or Tim shaw.

I remember the adverts that used to be played over and over and OVER again!

"Mr Hodgkiss, Mr Hodgkiss??"

"What is it now lad?"

"P & A Jewellery, only a minute be car from't University, or catch a 95 bus"

and

"Fresh as tomorrow, good for you, good for me, don't wait 'till tomorrow, better fetch a Fletchers loaf"

and

"Brammalls Gold Room, at Herries Road South, Hilllllsborough!"

(Please tell me you're singing along with me???)

On a totally unrelated point, god the Golden Fleece and Dove and Rainbow, I had some excellent times in both those pubs in the early eighties, especially the D & R, are they still open? (I moved away from Sheffield in 1987). Shame if they closed, I also used to like the Blue Bell, and the Complete Angler.

Hallam is just like all the other local stations;same old songs day after day.I've tried them all;Viking,Real,Smooth,Classic Gold,Heart,Yorkshire etc etc.None of them can find DIFFERENT hits from the past.All u will hear is Soft Cell-Tainted Love;Human League-Dont You Want Me;Lionel Ritchie-All Night Long/Dancing On The Ceiling/Running With The Night;Aretha Franklin-Say A Little Prayer;Candi Staton-Young Hearts Run Free;Blondie-Heart Of Glass/Tide Is High;Hot Chocolate-You Sexy Thing;Smokey Robinson-Tracks Of My Tears....and on it goes.This small and repetetive list from over 1000 number 1 singles and many thousand chart hits.I emailed Hallam and offered to do them a weekly playlist but surprise surprise didn't hear from them.Radio 2 is the only station to hear something you haven't heard for a while.