Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Only just noticed this thread. Wow, it's a long 'un but good 'un !!

On the topic of "Old Hallam", Keith Skues gave the following footage to the BBC last month as it was 30 years since the death of Marc Bolan. It is silent cine of Marc on the roof of the Arbourthorne Hotel. A link to the footage was posted in another thread & I thought it might be relevant to this one. I'm just wondering if anyone recorded this Radio Hallam broadcast on that day in '75 or if anyone knows if the master recording still exists. I would love to hear it. I'm told that Ray Stuart drove Marc up to the pub.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/events/bolan/video.shtml

or

Thanks.

Just listened to the jingles, thanks Marky Baby they were fantastic. The first one which went "and if you live in Rotherham or on the River Don, as far as we're concerned you're the number one...anytime" made me roar with laughter, that was brilliant i remember it well, its so cheesy isnt it. They had so many jingles didnt they, and all backed by some jazzy big band!! Great stuff would love to hear some more stories of that time.

Glad you enjoyed them lennonman!

The 1st & 2nd Jingle packages for Radio Hallam were custom made by Ray Martin at the Emison studios in London. Unfortunately i don't have a copy of the second package. I used to have quite a few of them on tape, but loaned them out and never got them back. If time allows i will upload a couple of other packages, one of which is the Alfasound "24hr Power Station" package featuring Jimmy Helms. If you can't wait, P.M. me your email addy and I'll send you a copy.

Mark

i remember ray stuart trying to start a campaign to get trevor hockey back at bramall lane,it fell on deaf ears,but the phone in was so funny. i also remember roger moffat getting reprimanded for calling someone a ******* on air.loved it when he had to be put in a cage when meeting elvis fans on either look north or calendar

On the topic of "Old Hallam", Keith Skues gave the following footage to the BBC last month as it was 30 years since the death of Marc Bolan. It is silent cine of Marc on the roof of the Arbourthorne Hotel. A link to the footage was posted in another thread & I thought it might be relevant to this one. I'm just wondering if anyone recorded this Radio Hallam broadcast on that day in '75 or if anyone knows if the master recording still exists. I would love to hear it. I'm told that Ray Stuart drove Marc up to the pub.

or

Thanks.

Great links thanks.

• 11 months later...

or

Thanks.

I heard from a very good source that many of the archive recordings from the Radio Hallam day's at Hartshead were thrown in a skip, when the newly named 'The New Hallam FM' moved to Herries Rd in 1991.

Although the recordings now belonged to the newish company that had taken over, they disrespectfully destroyed a part of Sheffield history to which i will NEVER forgive them for.

Keith Skues must have been devastated by their actions, but they were not his property and he could do nothing to save them.

I want people to know the truth about what the new owners of the station at that time did with all the precious archive material that Keith had gathered since the station was born in 1974.

I will never listen to Hallam FM and i think others should boycott the station.

They do not deserve to use the Hallam name.

We should never forget those wonderful presenters and personalities who also did 'RoadShows' packed full of listeners.

Radio Hallam was quite literally unique in commercial radio at the time and those who experienced it were very honoured to be there when it happened.

What happened to the great MONEY MOUNTAIN appeals each Christmas?

Hallam FM can only muster an 'Help a Hallam Child' which nobody ever remembers!

They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I remember the adverts that used to be played over and over and OVER again!

"Mr Hodgkiss, Mr Hodgkiss??"

"What is it now lad?"

"P & A Jewellery, only a minute be car from't University, or catch a 95 bus"

and

"Fresh as tomorrow, good for you, good for me, don't wait 'till tomorrow, better fetch a Fletchers loaf"

and

"Brammalls Gold Room, at Herries Road South, Hilllllsborough!"

(Please tell me you're singing along with me???)

What about these too:

"Tip-toe down to Towngate, down to Towngate, down to Towngate Motor's, tip-toe down to Towngate today!"

"Richards shops are filled with all the pretty things, lot's of all the pretty thing's to share, hey there pretty thing, make the world a prettier place, come visit us and buy your clothes at Richards Shops."

"Cantor's, turns your house into a home."

"Atkinsons of Sheffield...independently YOURS!"

My mum used to know her. She moved to Viking Radio in Hull. Last time my mum heard of her she was working in London in business.

Last time i saw Beverley Chubb, she was working at the Chamber of Commerce, Cumberland Street/Cumberland Way. (Demolished now)

I was attemting to exit the building and got lost, so i ventured into one of the offices and who should be sat behind a desk, noneother than Bev Chubb!

I asked her directions on how to leave the building and then recognised her.

I said: "I know you." She replied: "Do you." And i said "Yes ... you're Beverley Chubb!"

Apparently she had kept her previous life as a famous presenter on Radio Hallam to herself and i don't think many of her colleagues new about her former life.

I sat for a while chatting to her and she was lovely.

Apparently, Roger Moffat used to be frightened of her and used to crawl under the window of her office door so she didn't spot him passing.

I recon Hallam is one of the very best stations around. To the best of my knowledge it is number one in its market which is pretty damm good these days during the advent of DAB, Sky, etc and so much more local and national choice.

The breakfast show one a Gold award at the New York radio awards (the Radio Oscars) and John Harrison has a huge local following. They have really built that show up into something special over the last few years. Replacing Daryl Denham was a hell of a job, but John's show is really good.

Matt Mackay is one of the best music presenters around. Matt Foister and Emma Wasden are so much better and easier to listen to that the awful boring Dave Bethal was. Phoneboy is one hell of a tallent and I think Radio 1 looms for him, he is so different and brilliant at what he does.

Now Nick at night has really bedded in, Sheffield has a really strong talkshow that seems to have a hell of a lot of people listening even if they sometimes come on here and slag of Nick for something he has said. We need new speach broadcasters, we can reley on people like Scottie forever; good as he was on Hallam.

James Cussak is also bearly 18 and he is also one hell of a rising star. Anthony Gay who used to present for many years on Hallam who as programme director built up the station in to the RAJAR success it is today, was poached by EMAP flagship sister station Key 103 to do the same there. Same with former managing director Gus MacKenzie who now is Key 103/Magic 1152 MD. Former breakfast show producer Sean Gibson also now produces EMAP's flagship breakfast show 'Mike Toolan in the Morning' on Key 103.

Hallam FM is great station - just listen to some of the networked and syndicated rubbish down south, and then you'll see. It has a huge connection with its target audience,but its not the target audience of the 70's or 80's which is why i think so many people comne on here and slag it off. Just accept it is a fine quality, local product, and its one of the best things made in Sheffield in my view and one to be proud of.

Just to clarify, I dont work for EMAP or Hallam FM, im just a listener.

When i was listening to RADIO HALLAM, the presenters came out and showed their faces and met the listener via Roadshows and giving out records at the station.

They didn't lock themselves away in the studio, but they did come out to the people.

We still talk about them now!

Will the Hallam FM listener of today recall in 25 + years time the presenters of now - i doubt it!?

I remember a past newsreader/presenter called Mark Meadowcroft who said that he had never experienced at other stations the kind of reminiscing that goes with Radio Hallam.

He couldn't understand it and the reason why was because he was not there and didn't understand the inpact that Radio Hallam had on the region.

And quite different to any other ILR station at the same time.

It WAS unique AND it was leading the GIANT at the time of Radio One, in it's broadcating area. No other ILR station was doing the same at the time like Radio Hallam.

I would be very surprised if Hallam FM is more listened to in it's region, than those who choose to listen to Radio Two, which is the leader at the moment countrywide.