Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Anyone remember a late night show on Hallam before Martin Kelner took over, roundabout 1976? It was called, i think "Into The Night", but for the life of me i can't remember the name of the female presenter with the lovely seductive voice!

It was either Brenda Ellison or Cindy Kent. They both presented the same slot ... Cindy Kent replaced Brenda when she left the station around 1975/6.

I used to listen to both of them at night b4 going to sleep.

Cindy Kent's show was called "That's Nice" and she would invite the listener to send in a list of favourite tracks that would spell out the shows title.

"I too would be very interested in hearing any old recordings of Hallam shows as well as those little ditties that went between the songs (jingles). So if anyone has anything they would like to share, that would be abasolutely fantastic, sure it would bring back all kinds of memories."

Oh Go on then, help yourself.:thumbsup:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mawlkw

Thanks Mark, That was great afternoon listening for me ... brought back a lot of memories.

By the way, i know this Thread has been running for several years, but why don't most of the links still work?

I'm not at all technical, but all those lovely people who added them, could they activate them again. If that is at all possible,

Many thanks, and let's keep this site alive!!!!!!!:bigsmile::wave:

Glad you enjoyed them again Joe. When time permits I'll add change the audio for some other jingles / ads. (I've got the Richard shops jingle somewhere on tape.

Radio Hallam had a good start in life. Lets not forget that two of the main presenters (Johnny Moran & Keith Skues) were involved with Radio 1 from it's first day. Roger Moffatt was ex light programme / radio 2 / radio 4. Mike Rouse was an engineer for the BBC and worked with Emperor Rosko and Noel Edmonds on Radio 1. Mike Lindsay was, I think involved with the pirate ships.

The motto of the station was "It's nice to have a radio station as a friend" and for those who remember it, that's how it came across.

It was a station, like many of the early ILR stations that was character lead. The presenters were clearly distinct from each other, playing different styles of music which in those days was picked by a human being! (a bit like radio 2 is today).

I heard from a very good source that many of the archive recordings from the Radio Hallam day's at Hartshead were thrown in a skip, when the newly named 'The New Hallam FM' moved to Herries Rd in 1991.

Although the recordings now belonged to the newish company that had taken over, they disrespectfully destroyed a part of Sheffield history to which i will NEVER forgive them for.

Keith Skues must have been devastated by their actions, but they were not his property and he could do nothing to save them.

I want people to know the truth about what the new owners of the station at that time did with all the precious archive material that Keith had gathered since the station was born in 1974.

I will never listen to Hallam FM and i think others should boycott the station.

They do not deserve to use the Hallam name.

We should never forget those wonderful presenters and personalities who also did 'RoadShows' packed full of listeners.

Radio Hallam was quite literally unique in commercial radio at the time and those who experienced it were very honoured to be there when it happened.

What happened to the great MONEY MOUNTAIN appeals each Christmas?

Hallam FM can only muster an 'Help a Hallam Child' which nobody ever remembers!

They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

I totally agree with the above. How could anyone have thrown those archive recordings out like that? Radio Hallam was the best ever and these archives should have been kept and preserved!

Keith Skues was one of my favourite presenters, great voice and music taste. Does a show on Sunday nights on BBC Radio Lincolnshire now.

Regarding the jingles and adverts, I remember all those old Hallam adverts lol.

Has anyone got the SYT Savercard advert? There was more than one advert as one was sung to the sound of the Beach Boys - I Get Around. All I can remember of it is what I written below...

I get around...on SYT...pick up a card...its so eeeeasy!

The other one went something like this:

Savercard Savercard...fifteen pounds.....suss out the bus and keep costs down!

Ahem:blush:

Hallam jingles are available online in various places as thats how I come across a full Alfasound package a few years ago...

Sounds even better in stereo...R-R-R-R-R-R-Radio Hallam!

I heard from a very good source that many of the archive recordings from the Radio Hallam day's at Hartshead were thrown in a skip, when the newly named 'The New Hallam FM' moved to Herries Rd in 1991.

Although the recordings now belonged to the newish company that had taken over, they disrespectfully destroyed a part of Sheffield history to which i will NEVER forgive them for.

Keith Skues must have been devastated by their actions, but they were not his property and he could do nothing to save them.

I want people to know the truth about what the new owners of the station at that time did with all the precious archive material that Keith had gathered since the station was born in 1974.

I will never listen to Hallam FM and i think others should boycott the station.

They do not deserve to use the Hallam name.

We should never forget those wonderful presenters and personalities who also did 'RoadShows' packed full of listeners.

well said and I totally agree with you....its was a wonderful station and a "friend", which was its motto....its the worst audio experience EVER these days

It occurs to me I have archive tapes of Radio Hallam circa 76/77/78/79......many old C120 cassettes and reel to reel tapes stashed somewhere...I used to record EVERY WEEK for about 2 years the FULL 3 hour Hallam countdown top 40 show on sunday afternoons with kelly temple, 77/78.....plus recorded a lot of Ray Stuart Roundabout shows on weekdays and some Keith Shows lunch shows from 1978....I wonder what I did with them all.....

On a totally unrelated point, god the Golden Fleece and Dove and Rainbow, I had some excellent times in both those pubs in the early eighties, especially the D & R, are they still open? (I moved away from Sheffield in 1987). Shame if they closed, I also used to like the Blue Bell, and the Complete Angler.

The Golden Fleece? Where is that, or WAS that should I say...

I am Goldenfleece and now own the Dove and Rainbow ironically...and also THE YORk in broomhill, where strangely, several Hallam DJ's used to drink too, inc Ray Stuart, Roger Moffat, when he lived in Broomhill, and Martin Kellner...

Many hallam Dj's used to frequent the Dove from 74 to early 80's.....I remember meeting Ray Stuart, Roger Moffat, Colin Slade, and a whole host of others in there at lunchtimes.....along with Sheffield Newspapers, the Dove and Rainbow was the Hallam DJ hang out before and after their shows.....

I met Roger again around 1982 in the York in Broomhill, and he told me he was barred from the Dove and Rainbow...not sure what he had done....

The Golden Fleece? Where is that, or WAS that should I say...

I am Goldenfleece and now own the Dove and Rainbow ironically...and also THE YORk in broomhill, where strangely, several Hallam DJ's used to drink too, inc Ray Stuart, Roger Moffat, when he lived in Broomhill, and Martin Kellner...

Many hallam Dj's used to frequent the Dove from 74 to early 80's.....I remember meeting Ray Stuart, Roger Moffat, Colin Slade, and a whole host of others in there at lunchtimes.....along with Sheffield Newspapers, the Dove and Rainbow was the Hallam DJ hang out before and after their shows.....

I met Roger again around 1982 in the York in Broomhill, and he told me he was barred from the Dove and Rainbow...not sure what he had done....

Golden fleeece. I love the dire straits video and am looking forward to the opening of the York