Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

My God, yes I remember now. In 1981 I was in Sheffield and I met Roger in the YORK in Broomhill, he was living in a bedsit there and apparently drinking a crate of whiskey a day. He had a walking stick with a bell on it and all the students loved him.

I can remember back in the late seventies,going down to the radio station with me mate's,(all being about 11years old)and putting song requests on for someone.Roger Moffatt would give us a signed photo.

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled on this site whilst checking for anything "new" about the NDO or particularly Roger Moffatt. So you will understand that I have spent a fascinating hour or so reading the many references--almost all of which,I am happy to see,are complimentary. I was a fan for many years,back to the days when he was a duty announcer on the old North region on 434 metres.

The break came when the show--variously named over the years--which we now refer to as "Make way for music" was put on to the North region,I think,before being promoted to the national Light programme. This some time before it was put on to TV. I was not allowed to watch the tv version,it clashed with allotted homework time. But I did hear bits of it,leading to my lifelong admiration for Jimmy Leach.

Keith Skues put a fair amount of material out following Roger's death,including the funeral service. I was pleased at a connection,as Ray Moore,accompanied by Colin Berry,attended the funeral,I saw this as appropriate as Ray was another of my "greats",also much missed. Perhaps the closest to Roger we have seen,or now will see?

Finally,I have about 6 old cassette tapes made for me by my late Father,just within range of the BBC Sheffield transmitter,when Roger was in his last job,presenting that "Big Band Show" on Saturday lunchtimes.These are "C180" tapes,hence VERY fragile,I'm not keen to let them out of my sight,but could probably copy them on to C90 cassette tapes.But not having any professional equipment,if any demand for copies results,I'd prefer someone else arranged this. But talk to me if interested...

No,SCM,I can't say I remember that---but not untypical of "our Rog".Topically,as we are within sight of the Christmas period,some will remember one of the times Roger put his foot in it. He was chattering,as he did so pleasantly,to us,the listeners,about the fact he hadn't yet bought any Christmas presents,preferring to delay that exercise until the last moment. He went on to say,"someone said "It is more blessed to give than to receive"--I am not too sure about that--wonder what idiot first said it... The switchboard was jammed for some hours with complaints--for those not in the know,the saying is attributed to Jesus. Red face!!

• 2 months later...

Top station-used to listen to it back in 78-79 when I was a student here.Particularly liked Martin Kelner who used to run magic at midnight with 3 records in a row.Had a request aired once-played "Substitute " by the Who - had my name mentioned also which was "Rasputin"

Also remember Roger Moffat and Tony Lyman-Everyone seems to remember Roger-am I right about Tony Lyman or is my memory playing tricks ?

Also had a Radio Hallam t-shirt but don't have it now unfortunately.

I stumbled on this site whilst checking for anything "new" about the NDO or particularly Roger Moffatt. So you will understand that I have spent a fascinating hour or so reading the many references--almost all of which,I am happy to see,are complimentary. I was a fan for many years,back to the days when he was a duty announcer on the old North region on 434 metres.

The break came when the show--variously named over the years--which we now refer to as "Make way for music" was put on to the North region,I think,before being promoted to the national Light programme. This some time before it was put on to TV. I was not allowed to watch the tv version,it clashed with allotted homework time. But I did hear bits of it,leading to my lifelong admiration for Jimmy Leach.

Keith Skues put a fair amount of material out following Roger's death,including the funeral service. I was pleased at a connection,as Ray Moore,accompanied by Colin Berry,attended the funeral,I saw this as appropriate as Ray was another of my "greats",also much missed. Perhaps the closest to Roger we have seen,or now will see?

Finally,I have about 6 old cassette tapes made for me by my late Father,just within range of the BBC Sheffield transmitter,when Roger was in his last job,presenting that "Big Band Show" on Saturday lunchtimes.These are "C180" tapes,hence VERY fragile,I'm not keen to let them out of my sight,but could probably copy them on to C90 cassette tapes.But not having any professional equipment,if any demand for copies results,I'd prefer someone else arranged this. But talk to me if interested...

i can copy any of em...or the c90s if prefered onto cd if wanted?