Whatever happened to Radio Hallam...

Those ads;

South Yorkshire Caravans, your friendly road to freedom.

Mr. Hodgkiss, Mr. Hodgkiss bla bla bla Commonside Walkley,

Fresh as tomorrow, good for you etc. Better fetch a Fletchers loaf

Stoneses, goes down great guns!

Someone must have the full versions with the dialogue intact on tape somewhere, surely!

Oh yeh, apparently my niece bought it from Shackletons you know.

Those ads;

South Yorkshire Caravans, your friendly road to freedom.

Mr. Hodgkiss, Mr. Hodgkiss bla bla bla Commonside Walkley,

Fresh as tomorrow, good for you etc. Better fetch a Fletchers loaf

Stoneses, goes down great guns!

Someone must have the full versions with the dialogue intact on tape somewhere, surely!

Oh yeh, apparently my niece bought it from Shackletons you know.

Aaaarrgghh! That Mr. Hodgkiss, oh how I miss him!!!

Atkinsons of Sheffield...independently yours!

The old ad I would love :love:love:love: love to hear again is the SYT Savercard one. The only thing I can remember is that it was aired in the mid to late 1980s and was based around I Get Around by the Beach Boys...included the 'lyrics' below:

I get around on SYT, pick up a card its so e-e-easy.

Savercard savercard £15.00, suss out the bus and keep costs down.

Sorry but I cant remember anymore about it apart from the above 2 lines!

Regarding transport-related hallam ads, wasnt there a well-known car dealer ad? Yes! It was the D.C.Cook ad:

Look once, look twice, look for the D.C.Cook sign.

Also transport-related, there was an East Midlands buses ad on hallam (late 1980s/early 1990s?) with the line which went:

People going places...east midlands.

Oh dear, reading those lines from the ads, dont they sound so erm pathetic? these days. I think Mr. Hodgkiss should be brought back out of retirement though.

If I had kept all my bits of hallam tapes I would have probably had some of the ads but I was too young back then to realise how much the ads would be loved (and missed!) by us Sheffielders today.

Edited by Sheff2006

Keep in mind, radios have to adapt to the times.

The radio station caters more for the needs of 10-40/45 year olds

a nice radio station which sounds your cup of tea would be real radio, not so much talking and what not.

but like i was saying, the djs on hallam fm are extremly friendly and lovely,bubbly even.

Keep in mind, radios have to adapt to the times.

The radio station caters more for the needs of 10-40/45 year olds

a nice radio station which sounds your cup of tea would be real radio, not so much talking and what not.

but like i was saying, the djs on hallam fm are extremly friendly and lovely,bubbly even.

Commercial stations these days are too slick and commercial. Back in the olden days of Radio Hallam, the ads, jingles, music and presenters were all brilliant. I listened to Keith Skues last week on Lincolnshire for the first time in a while and although he was brilliant in his Hallam days he is even more brilliant these days!

I used look forward to hearing Hallam's scratched copy of Bat Out Of Hell (album version) to see if they had got round to replacing it yet. Or the times when snippets of LBC and Capital were heard in error. Radio these days doesnt really give the added extras of scratched records, wrong station/early fading in etc.

Edited by Sheff2006

Remember, it wasn't all good, I still have bad dreams about" A great big Kelly Temple HELLO". The scary thing was hearing that on the radio while on a course in Woolwich, I think he also did a show on Capital Radio, or another regional one there.

I just remember the great Kelner and the way Hallam had the best chart show at the time, the top 50 and several tracks used to get the 12" versions played, far better than the Beeb could manage.

Them were't days! Appen!

That's correct Kelly Temple left Radio Hallam in the early 80s. A friend told me he did the Weekend Breakfast show on Capital Radio but wasn't there very long. I remember the big HELLO. used to listen to his Sunday morning show and he used to do the great revived 45 show on a Friday Evening.

Today Radio is not the same. local stations have lost their individuality i think. I remember the days when Hallam had 24hr local news instead of joining up to IRN/SKY NEWS at night.

Would love to get old of some archives.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Being from Sheffield, but having moved around quite a bit, I have fond memories of what used to be Radio Hallam...despite me winning a competition and being promised that Kelly Temple would give me the prize himself, only to turn up to Radio Hallam to find him not there....git!! lol

Anyway...

I DO remember avidly listening to a late night (after 10pm?) talk show during the weekdays and one night the radio presenter wasn't there..apparently he had walked out. There was then a big statement alluding to this persons ego and that the station was bigger than "xxx" ...but can I remember his name? Can I eckers like....Can someone please help me unravle this mystery!?!?!?!