Just a question about equal rights.

As the Equal Rights policy form is separate from the application form they have no way of knowing if you fit the boxes you tick, so simply tick those that will give you the best chance of an interview.

Speaking as a black, Welsh disabled hermaphrodite lesbian, I'm all in favour of positive discrimination.

As the Equal Rights policy form is separate from the application form they have no way of knowing if you fit the boxes you tick, so simply tick those that will give you the best chance of an interview.

Speaking as a black, Welsh disabled hermaphrodite lesbian, I'm all in favour of positive discrimination.

I didn't know that you were a Taffy.

but how does that work bozo.

say they expect it to be proportionate, does this mean that they knowlingly employ proportionate amounts and does it mean that if a work place has only 10 employees they would have to employ at least 1 black/asian employee to make the numbers right?

I am no expert on this. I would hope that what it means is that they appoint the best person for the job based on the selection criteria to do the job. The information about applicants could potentially be used to target groups who might not traditionally apply (for future posts), with a view to increase the competition for the post and the calibre of the successful applicant.

Potentially it could also be used to identify bias in the selection procedure.

ive just had to google "demographic" (BLONDE) but why is this is it simply so they can write down somewhere " we have 35% asian employees ad 29%white etc etc?"

They wouldn't find this out from the form, they would only find out the demographics of the people who applies for the job.

If the application forms are like the ones used in local government, then the equalities information is separated before shortlisting. Applicants are shortlisted and interviewed on merit and without reference to equalities info. Once the successful candidate has been chosen their application form will form part of the employee record and will be matched up with their equalities form. Then the employer can record the details of the new employee. Having the equalities information for all staff can highlight any areas where there may appear to be a lack of equal opps.

For instance if you lived in an area (totally hypothetical) where 75% of the population were african, yet only 5% of staff employed were african, you might look at the reasons why? Such as - who is applying for vacancies; if the demographics of the applicants meets the local profile, why aren't the african applicants successful in getting the jobs. (Replace african with disabled, or left handed, or over 40 etc.)

And lastly, on forms where I've been asked for sensitive equalities information there is usually an option for 'prefer not to say' or something similar.

Archived