Poll tax -v- council tax : which is fairest?

Theres tons more than that! The council provides absolutely loads of services you don't even think of.

The issue with these services is just because you don't use them would you deprive the opportunity of using them to others?

Theres tons more than that! The council provides absolutely loads of services you don't even think of. The issue with these services is just because you don't use them would you deprive the opportunity of using them to others?
I don't have a use of any of the ones I mentioned but was it me that was moaning? Don't think so!

ETA: Social services, that's another one!

That wasn't really the question in the OP, though I did allude to it in support.

The question(s) is - should everyone pay their bit to services?

Or - should householders pay it all?

Or another way of putting it - should those who don't have a home receive services that they don't contribute towards?

Or another way - Does having a home mean you should subsidise those who don't?

I'm sure there are lots of other angles :)

(Personally I have no firm feelings but I'm interested to know how a new generation feels)

That wasn't really the question in the OP, though I did allude to it in support.

The question(s) is - should everyone pay their bit to services?

Of course

Or - should householders pay it all?
If not them then who?

Or another way of putting it - should those who don't have a home receive services that they don't contribute towards?
Yes so they may in time get a home and start to contribute

Or another way - Does having a home mean you should subsidise those who don't?
Yes

I'm sure there are lots of other angles :)
Not really you're just asking the same question in lots of different ways

(Personally I have no firm feelings but I'm interested to know how a new generation feels)
:rolleyes:

people paid for services they didn't use when it was rates, its always been that way
so when it was the poll tax and everyone who paid towards it were they entitled to the same services ? would they have been for example given extra bins per extra person per household ?and if not why not

so when it was the poll tax and everyone who paid towards it were they entitled to the same services ? would they have been for example given extra bins per extra person per household ?and if not why not
In thoery yes you could have requested it because poll tax was a tax on people and not property.

Council tax is divided between property and is in that sense fairer.

There aren't an awful lot of services available to you if you're homeless:(.

I don't know why we don't just use income tax. At least with that people are taxed according to their ability to pay.

When the Poll tax came in because I was subletting the tax that was my responsibilty exceeded my disposable income for the whole year!

A good job people with principles like Terry Fields (unlike Kinnock.....spit), opposed the stupid tax.

Archived