Poll tax -v- council tax : which is fairest?

Only taxation that bears some relation to income can be considered fair.

It will be interesting to see if the Liberals go ahead with their promise to replace council tax with local income tax if they get balance of power in a hung parliament.

@Wildcat, so in your and similar cases, it wasn't actually a 'poll' tax but the rates under the new name of the Community Charge? Very unfair, if so. Did you ever pay it? :D

I have edited my post because on reflection my memory was a little faulty.

I ended up paying roughly a fifth of what they were claiming, which by my calculation was what I owed.

.... but at least when it is based on house prices the Duke of Devonshire is paying more than someone living in shared accomodation.

But why should he? If he was living at Chatsworth on his own, he wouldn't need his bin emptying any more often than someone in shared accommodation... so why should he pay more?

In fact, he'd probably need it emptying less often, so perhaps he should get a discount!

Poll Tax was much better suited to my family. Obviously others did not like the change so kicked off about it. Hhhm...good job the rest of us don't do that now. What an uncivilised society this would be if everyone behaved like that when they did not agree with something.

I have edited my post because on reflection my memory was a little faulty.

I ended up paying roughly a fifth of what they were claiming, which by my calculation was what I owed.

However your calculations are irrelevant. What was owed was what was owed.

But why should he? If he was living at Chatsworth on his own, he wouldn't need his bin emptying any more often than someone in shared accommodation... so why should he pay more?

In fact, he'd probably need it emptying less often, so perhaps he should get a discount!

Because he can afford to pay more.

Taxation is the means by which problems of and in society are fixed. Those that benefit from society the most are those that can afford to pay the most, and so they should pay the most.

Poll Tax was much better suited to my family. Obviously others did not like the change so kicked off about it. Hhhm...good job the rest of us don't do that now. What an uncivilised society this would be if everyone behaved like that when they did not agree with something.
it might have been better suited to your family but the rest of the people it didnt and imo that why they kicked off .i wished more people kicked off about whats happening in this country now and maybe whoever gets in listens to the people again

Because he can afford to pay more.

Taxation is the means by which problems of and in society are fixed. Those that benefit from society the most are those that can afford to pay the most, and so they should pay the most.

Should he also pay a higher rate of VAT on his Mars Bar?

Archived