Why did Brown have to 'ask' the Queen's permission to call an election ?

The Queen is someone who can unite everyone regardless of their politics.

Maybe the National Anthem should be sang in school assemblies to help unite the country and give us a sense of pride.

God Save The Queen.

You Racist *******!......how dare you even think about singing a national anthem in a multicultural britain......You have alot to learn about modern day britain and it's negative stance on patriotism :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Do we actually pay her a wage?

She is paid off the Civil List. Wiki

To quote:

The Crown Estate is now a statutory corporation run on commercial lines by the Crown Estate Commissioners and generates revenue of around £190 million for HM Treasury every year, greatly exceeding the costs of the Civil List.[1] For example, it owns much of Regent Street in London. Despite this, the Civil List is set to be exhausted by 2012.

The link to The Guardian gives some figures: Here.

The total cost to the taxpayer of keeping the monarchy increased by £1.5m to £41.5m during the 2008-09 financial year – effectively 69p per British person last year and an increase of 3p on the previous year. The civil list was £13.9m last year, 43% of which came from the Queen's reserve.

She is paid off the Civil List. Wiki

To quote:

The Crown Estate is now a statutory corporation run on commercial lines by the Crown Estate Commissioners and generates revenue of around £190 million for HM Treasury every year, greatly exceeding the costs of the Civil List.[1] For example, it owns much of Regent Street in London. Despite this, the Civil List is set to be exhausted by 2012.

The link to The Guardian gives some figures: Here.

The total cost to the taxpayer of keeping the monarchy increased by £1.5m to
£41.5m
during the 2008-09 financial year – effectively 69p per British person last year and an increase of 3p on the previous year. The civil list was £13.9m last year, 43% of which came from the Queen's reserve.

No quite as bad as when the QE2 was afloat with the royal family aboard, something like 54 million back then?

Now how do i go about getting a rebate on that 69p?

Do you fancy a Mars Bar but don't have the change?

----------------------------

The Crown Estate (Link) says:

About Us

[...] We have two main objectives: to benefit the taxpayer by paying the revenue from our assets directly to the Treasury; and to enhance the value of the estate and the income it generates.

So i'm guessing it is state land and not her personal land, or she'd have the income herself and pay tax on it. Correct? I don't know, i shall leave that open to discussion.

No quite as bad as when the QE2 was afloat with the royal family aboard, something like 54 million back then?

I thought that the QE2 was a private ship ran by a Cunard.

Do you fancy a Mars Bar but don't have the change?

----------------------------

The Crown Estate (Link) says:

About Us

[...] We have two main objectives: to benefit the taxpayer by paying the revenue from our assets directly to the Treasury; and to enhance the value of the estate and the income it generates.

So i'm guessing it is state land and not her personal land, or she'd have the income herself and pay tax on it. Correct? I don't know, i shall leave that open to discussion.

How could you possibly know that? :P

Going back to the OP.....Because people need jobs and the more people there are the less point there is in the job being there.

your making it out as though this is personal ? she gets preferential treatment when its comes to law which isn't democratic. period
I just think you're being petty and mardy about it. It's not as though if we got rid of the royals, we'd be any better off and we'd probably be considerably worse off.

We could end up with some meglomaniac like Mugabe in charge for ever and ever, and his subjects are certainly equal with him, aren't they?

Archived