Why did Brown have to 'ask' the Queen's permission to call an election ?

I've wondered before what would happen if the PM simply didn't announce a date for an election....the queen would dissolve parliament on the 5th anniversary of the election?

I speculated on that issue in the thread where the date was first announced; it's never happened because no Government was ever mad enough to try it.

In theory, yes; it is the Queen who calls elections, and not the Government. This is why - so that if the Government refuses to call one it might lose, we still have one anyway.

I think it's pathetic when the only reason tourists come to this country to 'marvel' at the home she lives in. God, they must live sad lives back home ! As for 'Eddie Wessex' and 'Fergie' and the rest of this sponging family well what can you say ? Just ship the whole lot of to an uninhabited island take away all their obscene weath and let 'em get on with it ! "Princes Trust" ? Just their way of giving us working classes "a bit of charity mate!"

Of course they are, they are monarchs.

Figurehead monarchs. That's the very definition of a constitutional monarchy; you have someone in absolute charge whose sole real power is that they deny absolute power to anyone else. Instead of a self-seeking politician smarming his way into Head of State, we get someone who's known almost from birth that it would be their job for life, trained for twenty years to perform it, and has no political ties of any kind. (Indeed, if she were to display any she'd be forced to abdicate within a month; just as if she went on a killing spree, the immunity of the Crown from prosecution would be abolished within one day.)

I thought we were a 'democracy'. Whats it got to do with that very rich member of the 'ruling classes' ?
I'm shocked that someone in this day and age can post a thread with this title and OP.

What happened to those Citizenship classes we were supposed to be having in secondary schools? How are people still so politically ignorant about how things work? And yet they're still allowed a vote?:cool:

I've wondered before what would happen if the PM simply didn't announce a date for an election....the queen would dissolve parliament on the 5th anniversary of the election?

Wouldn't quite work that simply.

The queen would first have to dissmiss the prime minister, then invite someone else into the job who would then ask permission to dissolve parliament and call a general ellection.

She is head of state and it is her government. When forming a government the Queen also has to officially invite someone to form it. Always been the person who wins the election, but theoretically she could choose who she wanted.

Minister is Latin for servant, so the Prime Minister is the Queens first minister. Just like Christian ministers are ministers of God.

Of course they are, they are monarchs. It's already been pointed out they are above the law, because they are the Head of the Courts, and Head of the Church, and Head of State. The only reason a problem doesn't exist is because she doesn't commit crimes.

You're mad surely? Is this just an attack on the monarch. A soldier is not equal to an NCO. An NCO is not equal to a captain. A cardboard box dweller is not equal to the chairman of a company. A person with a law degree is not equal to someone who only has a certificate for car mechanics.

Where is this equality you are talking about?

I do not think it would result in a cry to get rid of the monarchy. It would cause some sensational changes. But monarchists would still win the day, and the queen would still be where she is.

And I suppose it would depend on who came into power. I dare say that if by some fluke the Klu Klux Klan were elected and the queen refused to accept them then most people would be quite happy.

Not sure how that would happen. If the KKK were elected then it would be a majority vote, meaning most people who voted chose the KKK would be unhappy and make up the majority of our nation.

The princes trust could just be any number of trusts, just has a royal name to it.

Personally i think the present day monarchy are a disgrace. It was mentioned about them going to war........in the safest possible place...not exactly in the trenches with the troops is it?.

The one and only saving grace for the monarchy is william....and only because he treads in the footsteps of his mother who this nation took into their hearts, and by that alone he would be accepted as a king in this country.

As for his role?......just an aging face to a country that is fading fast, you think ali mukaki maheed will give 2 ooks?

What would be so bad about scrapping the government? You think it's a freedom to vote in a government? Let's see -

Vote Conservative --- Increase taxes; increase cost of tobacco, petrol, alcohol; juggle unemployment figures to suit; blow hot air about immigration. Kow Tow to Europe.

Vote Labout --- Increase taxes; increase cost of tobacco, petrol, alcohol; juggle unemployment figures to suit; blow hot air about immigration. Kow Tow to Europe.

Vote Liberal --- Increase taxes; increase cost of tobacco, petrol, alcohol; juggle unemployment figures to suit; blow hot air about immigration. Kow Tow to Europe.

Vote BNP - Civil war.

Vote Green Party --- Increase taxes; increase cost of tobacco, petrol, alcohol; juggle unemployment figures to suit; blow hot air about immigration. Kow Tow to Europe.

Freedom to choose who?

it's gutting, but that basically is the electionin a nutshell. if it wasn't so desperately true it'd be funny. i bet the foreigners are laughing.

:|

I thought we were a 'democracy'. Whats it got to do with that very rich member of the 'ruling classes' ?

"decorus et tutanum" That's what's etched around the edge of a pound coin in englend, it mean 'an ornament and a safeguard'.

Without our head of state we would be wide open to dictatorship, which is exactly what happend with Cromwell after parliament got rid of Charls 1.

He dissolved parliament by force, then became the 'protector', something akin to Reichsführer.

Archived