Why did Brown have to 'ask' the Queen's permission to call an election ?

You seriously think being 'British' is all about supporting the 'Royal Family' ? I pity you !

Who said that? Quote please.

I said that our monarchy is Part of the British institution. We do not cling to a monarchy for the fun of it.

France don't have a monachy nor does Germany, Italy and dozens of other modern republics. I don't see any of them currently being run by a dictator. So Mr Gault your argument is slightly flawed !

Hitler was elected. A constitutional monarchy would have forced him out again once he tried to rip up the constitution.

(Damn, Godwin's law. I lose. :D)

Now your just starting to sound like momo :)

Who momo?

You know I am a devout monarchist so will stand up on the side of the Royal Family.

You have no reason to slag the Royal family off, and to make unfounded allegations is really not what I expected of you.

God save the Queen.

Yes."Elected" head states. Slightly different ! As it SHOULD be !

Why?

We have an elected government, and it has already been stated by some that the Royal family do not do anything - so what is their presence doing to harm anyone or anything?

What? What? Are you on those drugs again? Explain this allegation please, along with proofs.

Twas a little tongue in cheek dragon, should have put the :hihi: to make it clearer for you.

She wipes her arse like us (albeit on golden bogroll) takes a pee like us, and rightly we should elect our king and queen too.....we should contact the national lottery :P

H e asks her permission because she's head of state. As she can't refuse it's just a meaningless curtesy.

As to the argument about an elected head of state, I'd sooner have her than some superannuated politician such as Blair or Thatcher.

...and rightly we should elect our king and queen too.....we should contact the national lottery :P

Electing a head of state means you'd get a self-seeking politician in the job. I don't think anyone would prefer that.

As for the national lottery - the position is already filled by lottery. The most foolproof and completely random lottery of all - accident of birth. This has the further advantage that whoevers gets saddled with the burden, also has a lifetime to prepare for it.

Twas a little tongue in cheek dragon, should have put the :hihi: to make it clearer for you.

She wipes her arse like us (albeit on golden bogroll) takes a pee like us, and rightly we should elect our king and queen too.....we should contact the national lottery :P

I cannot recall the last time you brough millions of pounds into the country though. I do recall the massive crowds that were around at several royal occasions - mere pomp and ceremony, but the punters loved it. Brought in the cash.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think the Royals just sit on their Royal bottoms all day.

Yes."Elected" head states. Slightly different ! As it SHOULD be !

Who says 'that's how it should be' there's lots of advantages to having a monarch instead of election someone.

Firstly a monarch isn't tied to ANY political party, but to be elected one must have the backing of a party and thus have a loyalty to that party.

No no, I'll keep with the tried and tested method thanks very much, its worked for quite a while now, no dictators is a good thing.

France, Gernay, Italy, Turkey, Greese etc etc have all had dictators via the method you say is right times many.

Archived