Why do our soldiers have to go to Afghanistan?

Time is spent peace keeping out there, and keeping Taleban from taking over cities, and breaking up training camps keeping terrorism from Britain.

it seems from this thread and after searching the net last night your right, whether there is also the point of oil we will never know. I'm glad I started this thread. I learnt something which explains things abit more.

Thanks for the genuine answers on this thread guys!

The fact that we may want to buy oil from Afghanistan (and indeed the whole Middle East) isn't necessarily the reason why our troops are in there - in my eyes it's purely because of 9/11 and 7/7 and wanting to stop it happening again.

I think most Afghans would be delighted if they were allowed to legally sell their natural resources to give them and their families a decent standard of living.

Bringing the soldiers home isn't really an option, as if we leave them to kill each other the reality is that the killing will spread to our shores (like 9/11 and 7/7).

If the Afghan war had anything to do with the terrorism or 9/11 revenge that reason ended when the Taliban were forced out and AlQaeda as an organization (if it ever was one) was finished.

And the OP is right- why are Brits there? The Americans went in and simply told Blair to do the same (as there will be something in it for them)...

You can ask the samething about Iraq- greed will lead you anywhere. Hence why they (USA) are also threatening Iran next.

Just follow the oil money.....

One soldier I saw interviewed said that we are fighting over in Afghanistan because thats preferential to fighting them on the streets of Britain. This implies that if we weren't in Afghanistan trying to dismantle Al Qaeda then we'd only be storing up trouble for the future, allowing AQ to grow, establish more networks across the world and bring terror to Britain.

Its one argument. There are plenty of others.

One soldier I saw interviewed said that we are fighting over in Afghanistan because thats preferential to fighting them on the streets of Britain. This implies that if we weren't in Afghanistan trying to dismantle Al Qaeda then we'd only be storing up trouble for the future, allowing AQ to grow, establish more networks across the world and bring terror to Britain.

And a bloody good reasoned argument,nice to see that not all of the population are blinded by the moderate muslim fantasy

warring for peace is like shagging for virginity.

Serious question.

Alot of ppl have told me it's to do with oil/gas. Where as

from the official answers tend to be not that.

So why? As far as I'm concerned I'd leave them all

to kill each other. our soldiers are dying for what? To stop one afghan killing another?

There are probably dozens of reasons given by government, commentators and anti war movements. You have to look at all the arguments for those reasons and make your own mind up.

Hearsay and facts are different things. It's no good someone saying 'oh it's something to do with oil' without being able to explain it.

I'll make it simple for you.

It isn't about oil because there isn't any with a hundred miles of the place.

But i agree with you on one thing, should just let them be and let them kill each other bring the soldiers home.

So what happens when they have had plenty of practice at killing each other and decide to move further a field ………… some people have short memories ……… the Trade Centre was catastrophic but we cant even imagine what will come next if they aren’t kept in check.

So what happens when they have had plenty of practice at killing each other and decide to move further a field ………… some people have short memories ……… the Trade Centre was catastrophic but we cant even imagine what will come next if they aren’t kept in check.

11/9 was 9 years ago. The only serious terrorist attack in the UK was 5 years ago. What makes you think there are still lots of terrorists trying to kill us?

Archived