Raise in cider duty scrapped

One good thing about the calling of an election is that the Govt. has had to make concessions in order to rush through any legislation before the election.

The 10% increase on cider duty is one such piece of legislation.

Be warned though that they intend to go ahead with the rise if they get re-elected.

Story here

Very good news!

We have to endure over-inflated cider until the end of June though, for no good reason!

The rise was part of the finance act. In order to pass the act the rise has been scrapped. Therefore the price shouldn't have gone up yet at all. Thats how I read it anyway.

Best news I've heard all day. Know who I'll be voting for now.

Apart from the drinkers up and down the country the rise would have had a detrimental effect on cider producers. But seeing as these are mostly Southern and rural Labour probably felt they wouldn't get many votes in these constituencies anyway so they had little to lose.

It would be fun if it became a major issue during the election though - we could have the Wurzels appearing on question time or traveling the country on a battlebus combine harvester

Best news I've heard all day. Know who I'll be voting for now.

Have you seen the budget proposals of the other parties then ? Be careful what you wish for :hihi:

Glad to see the broadband tax has also hit the buffers.

OTOH the electoral reform referendum has also been scrapped - something this country really needs but is unlikely ever to get.

Archived