Raise in cider duty scrapped

What's always baffled me is how all those Worzels slashing away at the corn with their razor-sharp scythes could down half a gallon of scrumpy in their morning break and not cut themselves of at the ankles :confused:

That's because contrary to the image of soft, shandy-drinking fairies, us southerners know how to handle our drink. ;)

Yet another government con. In the week that's passed since the budget all the pubs and supermarkets have already put their cider prices up by 10%, I can't see them bringing them back down now, can you?

Not really, to be honest.

The finance bill has now been passed.

This is the official Governmentline on the cider duty rise.

"The cider duty rate increase of 10 per cent above inflation announced at Budget on 28 March has NOT been cancelled, and is still effective from 29 March, but under legislation in Finance Act 2010 the duty rate increase will be reduced to 2 per cent above inflation from 30 June 2010. However, the Government has announced that it intends to take the necessary action in a second Finance Bill after the General Election to maintain the cider duty rate as announced at Budget. i.e. inflation plus 10 per cent”

Archived