Have you been to Croatia?

I know parts of Croatia very well, but I've not been to Istria. I always fancied going to Rovinj, it seems to have an artistic ambience, that's just down the road from Porec. Istria's Italian heritage is very pronounced, I believe (it was part of Italy for a chunk of the 20th centruy), and the interior is well worth a drive around as the countryside is like Tuscany. I'd recommend an excursion to Pula as it has an impressive Roman amphitheatre. You're also nearby the Brijuni Islands which were Tito's private hideout and are now a national park.

The locals don't expect anyone to try the language, they know it's hard for non-slavs, so English, German and Italian are widely spoken.

Is there anything particular you want to know about the country or region?

no nothing in particular,just genaeral info on the place, off to wh smiths to get a guide book today. will try the places mentioned, once again thanks for replies,

I have been to Porec a few times and to other parts of Istria. Porec is one of my favourite places in Croatia and I prefer it rather than Dubrovnik & Split. Its a bit more relaxed in Istria and the people are much more friendly.

Its not a very big town but lovely to walk round and lots of things to see. Loads of nice restuarants too so a good holiday for relaxing and just wandering about. Money wise its gone up in the past few years. Still a bit cheaper than here though!

I think the hotel you are staying at offers regular sea taxis to and from Porec harbour. The taxis cost about the equivalent of £3 each way and stop running about 11pm ish.

You can also get good day trips from Porec if you wanted to do something different. There is a ferry that runs to Venice for about £40 per person for the day. But if you want something cheaper and in Croatia theres loads of excursion boats that take you out for the day around all the islands. I would recommend you do one of these as its really good to see other parts of Istria. Dont book this through the travel companies though as its expensive. Better to go down to the harbour and buy it there as you can haggle on prices.

Anything else you want to know just ask and I will do my best :)

Nicola x

Theres only a couple of hotels on the island and if you are in the one we were in (Fortuna) then the alcohol (red or white wine and lager) comes as a freebie as long as you have it in the main restaurant i.e with the meal.

If its the same crack as when we went then its a good idea to make a game plan to be last out of the dining room and top up before you leave for the bits where the costing beer kicks in.

The wildlife on the island is undisturbed by predators so there are rabbits the size of wooly mammoths - these are not just rabbits - they are M and S Rabbits. Birdlife nesting in rocks which are easy accessible if you are in touch with your David Attenboro side watching the chicks at close quarters etc.

Have a great holiday.

Theres only a couple of hotels on the island and if you are in the one we were in (Fortuna) then the alcohol (red or white wine and lager) comes as a freebie as long as you have it in the main restaurant i.e with the meal.

If its the same crack as when we went then its a good idea to make a game plan to be last out of the dining room and top up before you leave for the bits where the costing beer kicks in.

The wildlife on the island is undisturbed by predators so there are rabbits the size of wooly mammoths - these are not just rabbits - they are M and S Rabbits. Birdlife nesting in rocks which are easy accessible if you are in touch with your David Attenboro side watching the chicks at close quarters etc.

Have a great holiday.

Thanks for the tips,yes we are staying at the Fortuna.

If you decide to do the "off road 4x4 safari" or whatever they are packaging it as these days then be warned / informed that it is in fact a white knuckle ride and not for the elderly infirm or squeamish.

They finish the wildlife off road sightseeing with a visit to an army assault course used for tank practice and the terrain throws you against floor four sides and ceiling of your chosen vehicle. Depending on your age group and physical state that may be an exciting attraction or may be a deterrent but you certainly dont want to be caught up in it unawares. Its alton towers nerves of steel stuff.

Archived