Legal advice required

my oh rang me up last week after getting some funny phone calls and texts, it turned out someone has posted on gum tree miscellaneous that she is up for fun in midweek when we are apart and has put her mobile number at the end for anyone to ring, they even put in her works post code. i got this information after ringing one of the mob numbers who had rung her. she reported it to the police who said if she got in touch with gumtree to find out more information then they would act. gumtree eventually emailed her to say that they know who it is but due to freedom of information they could only give out who it is to either the police or a solicitor. she contacted the police tonight and eventually she was told there was no crime committed which we both find unbelievable. before we go to the expense of a solicitor who will probably come up with a made up email address is this a crime eg some sort of fraud or harassment and should the police investigate more or should we contact the police ombudsman, any advice would be appreciated

mel

Presumably Gumtree have taken it down and therefore the calls have stopped? Then forget about it and move on.

If you're really bothered then you could ask your solicitor to ask Gumtree for the IP address of the person making the post. Then contact the ISP who owns that address and ask if they'll take action under their Terms of Service / Acceptable Use Policy. Which they probably won't and it'll all be a lot of hassle.

we have a good idea who did this - a disgruntled employee - but unless we get more information there is nothing to stop him doing it again

mel

If i were you id just ride it out, change the number thats on Gumtree and i bet he or she will get bored if they think you dont care or arent willing to give them the reaction they want.

Idiots like this soon get bored and move onto the next person:loopy:

Archived