School holidays, feel sorry for my kids

I feel really bad for my kids when it comes to school holidays, i work part time but dont have much money and dont drive so i cant afford to take them away or on day trips even, i hear about all there friends doing this that and the other and it makes me so sad, i do the best for my 2 but i wish i could give them more, do any other parents feel like this? :(

Have you got a Grandma to pack them off to? I used to go to Grans when I was on holiday.

There is my mum, but we lost my dad last year and she is still all over the place at the mo, so its not a good idea.

There's so much that kids can do that doesn't cost a penny. Don't feel bad about it - comparing your own situation to others probably doesn't help.

Assuming your kids are loved and well fed and that they've an appropriate degree of freedom for their age, you've nothing to fret about.

take em to the park, it doesnt cost owt, we spend a hell of a lot of time in graves park and millhouses and theres plenty to do, too much of this nowadays spending mountains of money on taking kids here there and everywhere, think a lot of time its parents playing oneupmanship games on there childrens friends parents, snob value i think its called.

There's so much that kids can do that doesn't cost a penny. Don't feel bad about it - comparing your own situation to others probably doesn't help.

Assuming your kids are loved and well fed and that they've an appropriate degree of freedom for their age, you've nothing to fret about.

Yeah, i know there is, but i just sometimes think, right lets go to say, Alton Towers for the day or something, you know, but just cant, i know i shouldnt compare to what there friends are doing but its hard not too when, say my daughter calls a friend to see if they want to do something and there saying, oh, i cant im busy, where going to such and such a place. I sometimes see the look on her face, and to me its like, oh, i wish we were going somewhere :(. Maybe i need to win the lottery :hihi:

take em to the park, it doesnt cost owt, we spend a hell of a lot of time in graves park and millhouses and theres plenty to do, too much of this nowadays spending mountains of money on taking kids here there and everywhere, think a lot of time its parents playing oneupmanship games on there childrens parents, snob value i think its called.

My son is 16 and he,s grown out of going to the park :hihi:. Plus im not on about spending huge amounts of money, just the fact it would be nice for just 1 day trip in the hols, they would be happy with that :)

Key thing to remember is money isnt important here. Years ago when I was a kid my mum n dad split and my dad moved away and whenever we used to go to see him he would just chuck money at us literally give us money for the shops etc but what I tended to enjoy the most was the things that was free a kick about in the park, playing on playstation 1 (all that was out at the time) there is a million things you can do that are free and in general kids tend to enjoy these more then the things that cost alot.

You should be proud in the knowledge that you do the best you can for your kids.

I am thinking of taking my LO to Graves Park today she is only 21 months (if I can muster the energy... she woke up around 5am then at 6, she has not been sleeping well for past few nights, for a couple of nights she slept through, think she is back to the early rising now though :( ah well.....).

My lot aren't going anywhere this hols either, they've managed to entertain themselves pretty much. Stopping out at friends houses, bike rides. They can still enjoy themselves without throwing cash at them.

It is nice to be able to take them places but don't beat yourself up about it. Just spend time with them, some kids don't even get that.

Archived