School holidays, feel sorry for my kids

Places like parks, (Graves Park and Botanical gardens etc)...don't cost thing to visit!! Am sure most people in Sheff' have a huge park nearby with Sheff being the greenest city!!!

You should be grateful that you arn;t at work full time (yes the money difference would prob be good) but at least you get to spend time with your kids, which a lot of parents don't.

Just don't leave them to scream all day on the yard which is covered in pebbles what the cats have wee'd in, which is what my scumbag neighbours do!!

They don't even work and we have a huge, if not the biggest park in Sheff' over the road. But no, they can't be assed to get off the sofa, switch off Jezza Kyle and do something for their kids!!

Bring back Playscheme's at school holidays and the local working mens club shindigs to skeggy butlins..

A 16 year old to deal with lou ?? hows about a session at one of Sheffields many Climbing wall's ? All equipment provided and damn good value. all you need to bring is some bravado.. :thumbsup:

Day in the park today whilst it's sunny. Take a bat and ball and a homemade picnic.

Ecclesall Library puppet making or any of galleries events

http://www.museums-sheffield.org.uk/coresite/html/whatson.asp?calendar=family-programme - seem all to be free.

Sat - Weston Park Museum There's something on about birds this weekend.

Sun - Bishops House (on the weekend.)

There's an inititive run by SCC, can't remember the exact name now and it's all free stuff for kids to do in the holidays, such as workshops (graphics, footy, acting etc...) and sports events and similar things like that. Could be lifewise or something?

I sorted out my step son to go on a week long firebrigade course last year in the hols which he loved. However the organiser had said the course was full to most youngsters but when my step son got there all the attendees were part of the organiser family!!!! :rant: Which is wrong on every level!!

SCC don't promote the events very well and I only found out about it by asking a colleague for things to do with kids.

You could try asking the Council or googling etc...for it but it's well worth it for kids. I do feel sorry for them tbh as when I was little the sun was always out and we could play in the fields from morn to dusk, nowadays the weathers different and kids can't just wander off all day due to the ever increasing dangers.

I used to give my granddaughter a couple of options, such as "Which do you want to do? We can go to Endcliffe Park with some stale bread, and feed the ducks, or go to the Botanicals and feed some bird-nuts to the 'squizzles' - which one would you like to do?"

She'd choose and we'd have a great time, somewhere safe for her to run about and let off steam, with the added bonus of her being able to choose what we did.

I'd also do with her what my mum did with me and my sister, where we'd go off on a "walk", and at each junction, she could choose:- "straight on, left, or right?"

DGD would choose and we'd have a little "adventure", exploring. An inexpensive way of entertaining her...

Hi - google Sheffield Information Link & look at the Whats on Guide for the Easter Hols. Loads of free or cheap stuff in there. Also the cinema at Meadowhall (Vue I think) has a film showing at 10am for 95p each. Its full of kids so it doesn't matter if the little one is a bit noisy.

Hope that helps - luckily the waether forecast is good which makes the great (& free) outdoors so much easier.

Archived