Can a stomach virus stay in your system for years?

If it's a parasite it can because it will go on reproducing.Or if you create the right environment for viruses to survive and reproduce.If you are worried , see your GP for a simple test, it only involves you taking a sample and they will test to see if you have a bacteria in your gut that can cause ulcers.It's easily treated and eliminated by a short course of strong tablets.

A bacterial infection can stay in your stomach for years; H. Pylori, the one responsible for ulcers as Whitehorses mentions, is known to do so. He also points out that parasites can do the same.

I suspect that a genuine virus cannot, but even if I'm right that only means that you can rule out viral infection as the cause. You can't rule out other types of infection simply because the condition has gone on for a long time.

If you'd had Salmonella for 17 years you'd have been very seriously ill by now as Salmonella produces toxic chemicals which cause organ failure and you'd have carked it long since. Ditto with E coli.

Norovirus won't stay around for more than a few weeks.

I'm afraid that isn't going to help you with an explanation for your ongoing sickness.

Archived