18 year old daughters that think they know it all

Enjoy it while you can.In a few years, you'll be too frightened to go to town and she'll have to fetch you from the tram stop.Life has it's compensations though...You'll be able to call her up at work and have her collect you, embarass her at family weddings and stuff by asking to go home early, and also by wearing unseemingly inappropriate clothes for an older woman, oh yes, you've got it all to look forward to, revenge is sweet!!!

Boy, does this sound familiar.

My daughter insisted for months that it would be much safer for her to have her car at school with her. She needed it to get home from her part time job because the clothing store at the mall where she worked closed after 10 p.m., it was too far to walk (but not too far to ride a bike) and the buses had stopped running by then.

I should add this is the same kid who would blithely get on a train at midnight, by herself in a rough neighborhood, then get on two more trains and a bus, traveling 200 miles. Then walk alone, wheeling her suitcase, through the darkened streets arriving back at her dorm room sometime after 4 a.m. And I can't relax until I hear that she made it back ok. But I digress. :hihi:

It was, "no, you can't have the car up there. And no, I don't care if Lisa, Brittany, Amber's cousin's roomate's, sorority sister's friend's DOG has their car. For the last damn time, NO!"

She got a new job even further away. We cave and let her have the car. Within six weeks, she's made redundant. Guess where the car is? Hint. Not in my driveway.

On the bright side, she'll be 22 this month, is soon to graduate college and her attitude has improved enormously. Hang in there, it will get better. Eventually she'll appreciate all you do for her. :)

thankyou your all being very kind and i know your all right in what you say iam handing in there but i will tell you this its getting harder every day i know i need to get a back bone and mean what i say and stick by what my husband says maybe then we will get to some kind of normal way of live its hard thats all

I don't know what it is with girls. We also have a boy who's 17, and no way do I get the attitude and backtalk from him that we got with his sister. It could be each kid's personality, but I've heard this more often from parents of daughters than sons.

I was a very mouthy kid myself, so I suppose it's the law of the universe, payback and all that.

I know it can be beyond infuriating, but be patient. Once while venting to my sister (who only has boys) I said, "when she wants something, now I'm mommy!"

I don't care what anyone says, at 18, she's still really a child. She's struggling to grow up and she's torn between leaning on you and standing tall herself. At times, she'll do both. The transition will be easier if she knows your love and support is unconditional, which I'm sure it is. No matter what, you'll always be there for her.

my daughter has just got ready to go out at this time of night yet cannot get home from work on her own at 10pm because she is frightened so me and her dad have to fetch her yet very happy to wounder town on student night even though she wants help to pay for everything and one more thing if anyone tryed to chase her what hope would she have in them heels she has on 6inch high lol

I can sympathise to some extent, I remember when my eldest started going out when he was about 17, if he wasn't home by 1am I'd be out in my car driving around town hoping I'd find him on the off chance, this was before kids had mobile phones-so I had frequent nightmares of him fleeing drunken youths, trying to find a phone box to call me..how sad is that?!

Conversely, his brother started out being independent and even as a young teenager goes about his business without a backward glance and generally I dont give it a second thought-he has a mobile phone welded to him-Im sure its more of a comfort blanket for me than it is for him :D

Archived