Woman dies after hijab got caught in go-kart axle

I don't see it like that, like I said, it could have been me, wearing a tie, or scarf, or baggy clothing.

I'd like to think of it more along the lines of, all because the lady loved the idea of go-karting.

I really don't think she was shouting allahu akbar as she sped down the track.

I'm not overly concerned with her dress code, or with her being muslim. I'm merely explaining what I believe would happen in this country.

I'm not overly concerned with her dress code, or with her being muslim. I'm merely explaining what I believe would happen in this country.

Yeah I gathered that, but again I don't think it would go the way you predicted, you see the government don't really start passing legislation because of freak accidents.

Nor would any court view it as discrimination against muslims because of a go-karting venue imposing health and safety policies on the removal of a hijab, scarf, neck tie, baggy clothing, because it has now been proven to be fatal.

I reckon instead most hijabs will come off willingly from now on when entering a go-kart, and that if a person was strict about the removal of it, would refuse to participate in go-karting of their own volition, because it may prove to be fatal.

Yeah I gathered that, but again I don't think it would go the way you predicted, you see the government don't really start passing legislation because of freak accidents.

Nor would any court view it as discrimination against muslims because of a go-karting venue imposing health and safety policies on the removal of a hijab, scarf, neck tie, baggy clothing, because it has now been proven to be fatal.

I reckon instead most hijabs will come off willingly from now on when entering a go-kart, and that if a person was strict about the removal of it, would refuse to participate in go-karting of their own volition, because it may prove to be fatal.

You're refering to a goverment that is prerared to compromise national security to avoid the wearers of muslim headdress being discriminated against.

You're refering to a goverment that is prerared to compromise national security to avoid the wearers of muslim headdress being discriminated against.

Yes I am, and I repeat, they still do not legislate on the basis of freak accidents.

And I also said, I honestly cannot see a law court (which has little input from government other than the legislation) favouring someone on the basis of discrimination.

The only way that I can see a discrimination case winning was if a go-karting venue imposed a ban on hijabs alone, which is unlikely because scarfs, neck ties, baggy clothing and even long hair could be just as fatal.

And if a venue did just ban hijabs, then let me know where they are, I'd wear one for the day and sue them myself, even though I aint muslim or female.

The most common thing to get caught up in the axle of a go-kart is people's shoe laces, can take your foot off if your not careful, they haven't banned laces, they just put up warnings, saying wear enclosed shoes, and go-kart at your own risk.

In the UK you'll be lucky if you see such signs in some places, and in other places you won't be allowed into a go-kart unless you wear the right gear.

Yes I am, and I repeat, they still do not legislate on the basis of freak accidents.

And I also said, I honestly cannot see a law court (which has little input from government other than the legislation) favouring someone on the basis of discrimination.

The only way that I can see a discrimination case winning was if a go-karting venue imposed a ban on hijabs alone, which is unlikely because scarfs, neck ties, baggy clothing and even long hair could be just as fatal.

And if a venue did just ban hijabs, then let me know where they are, I'd wear one for the day and sue them myself, even though I aint muslim or female.

The HSE has the authority to ban the hijab or any other garment that might be considered hazardous or unsuitable.

The HSE has the authority to ban the hijab or any other garment that might be considered hazardous or unsuitable.

Yep they do, and it only applies to those employers that register with the HSE.

People like sole traders, etc, that don't register can claim that the HSE has no authority over them.

Which is why we do, in the UK have some venues that won't let you into a go-kart unless your wearing the right equipment (normally registered with the HSE), and some that just stick signs up and put the risk back into the customers hands (generally not registered with the HSE but have enough sense not to make themselves liable).

And then there are a minority of sole traders that don't do either (picture the little kiddy go-karts at ingoldmells or elsewhere, where you stick a quid in and away they go, also not registered with the HSE).

It's akin to why the HSE can screw one company for not using ladders correctly (normally registered) but can't come and screw you for washing your windows unsafely, or your sole trading window cleaner (generally not registered).

Would the op have posted this thread if it had been a women with long hair who suffered the same fate due to having her hair trapped in the axle?

He also implies that in "developed countries", they don't allow scarfs, neck ties or baggy clothing, which is untrue, I was merely pointing that out.

Believe it or not, there are some not so "developed countries" that provide helmets and neck braces with their go-karts, that's right they even have go-karts in some not so "developed countries".

He also implies that because it is a hijab she's been granted special rights, that people who don't wear hijabs don't have within these "developed countries".

Digsy, I also find it quite interesting that the implication is also that Australia is not a "Developed Country".

There have been many such accidents all over the world, where parts of garments got caught up in machinery or wheels of vehicles. the developed nature of the country, or the perceived faith of the citizens doesn't really figure. As this, and other linkies have shown, you can be a rich American actress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isadora_Duncan), an Australian muslim, a Scotswoman who rides a motorcycle. It was a frequent occurrence in the fabric-making factories up here in the north, where long hair, or dangling clothes got tangled in the machinery.. Death is no respecter of persons

The wearing of long, flowing/baggy clothes and scarves were not, outright, forbidden in the UK, or France after I-D was killed in 1927 (France being where Isadora Duncan's fatal accident happened) as you say, that accident, like this latset one was a horrific, freak occurrence

You have to be circumspect, and careful what you wear if you are near exposed wheels, riding on bikes, or near exposed machinery.

To callipo & Weazel

Attacking sentiments of others "by any means possible" has become a norm. I think Muslims should be more concerned about this than any other non follower.

Rules are meant to be followed and if not followed, they are to be imposed. Whether they're imposed by Yankees, Brits or Clerics.

If she really died while following her rules, she will be rewarded by the one who created these rules for the mankind.

I hope the 'religion bashing' threads are discarded out right.

Any rotating machinary poses a danger when in close proximity to the person, thats why guards and protective devices are installed. If I was hiring out go-karts I would take all reasonable precautions to protect the driver, but would also insist that any loose clothing like scarves etc. should be tied back.

Archived