Woman dies after hijab got caught in go-kart axle

I find it all pretty difficult to take in. I have raced Karts many times including the kiddy things with lawn mower engines that they have at indoor tracks. I have always had to wear a crash helmet, racing gloves, and a fireproof suit.

If you are wearing that lot it is difficult to imagine how you could also be wearing a head scarf. Perhaps she branded them racists for telling her what to wear and forced them to let her out on the track.

You're assuming that Australia has a requirement that helmets, gloves or fireproof suits are worn..perhaps in your haste to play the 'race card' you overlooked the possiblity that they dont?

It was a tragic and preventable accident, lets not go down the usual route towards having the thread locked.

There are lots of 'preventable accidents', but why focus on a burka wearing Muslim who died because of a freak one?

I dont have the statistics, but Im pretty sure the number of women who have had accidents of this nature are infintessimally small compared to the number of kids who ride bicycles without helmets.

At any go-kart track I have been to you have to sign a disclaimer first but you still have to wear the basic safety gear or are the PC brigade that scared now that even safety standards have to play second fiddle to appease some people.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, people are made to take responsiblity for their own safety if they refuse the advice-I dont need the intervention of the 'nanny state' to compel me to wear a helmet if I ride my bike or if I ever went go karting, I do it because I value my own well being.

So what's the problem? People being appeased? So what? The woman is dead, if she was encouraged to wear a helmet and refused to do so, then that's her fault. If I chose to do the same, then I would be accepting the same risk and it would be my choice. Or perhaps we should start banning bungee jumping or parachuting or rock climbing because they are high risk activities, even with the safety precautions.

If the number of burka wearing women who died because they came too close to moving machinery became epidemic in number then you might find the state justifiably intervening, if only because of the costs involved in sorting out the outcome of these accidents.

So what's the problem? People being appeased? So what? The woman is dead, if she was encouraged to wear a helmet and refused to do so, then that's her fault. .

We don’t know if she was wearing a helmet do we, if she wasn’t wearing one she shouldn’t have been allowed on the track,( stands back and awaits abuse about human rights )

Muslims will wear what they want. It just hacks you off because they stuck to their religion when coming over to a foreign country. Plus converting others here.

But surely when its completely impractical and unsafe they shouldn't be wearing the clothing that they was?

We don’t know if she was wearing a helmet do we, if she wasn’t wearing one she shouldn’t have been allowed on the track,( stands back and awaits abuse about human rights )
No we dont know if she was or not, but my point stands, there are hundreds of accidents every year in the UK involving children coming off bikes, a Muslim in Australia dies because of a freak accident and suddenly people have an interest in the health & safety provisions protecting them or their desire not to adhere to them.

Go Kart track staff: I'd suggest you don't wear your (whatever it is) whilst riding the kart, it may get caught in the machinery of the kart and kill you in a horrible way.

Woman: I won't remove it, it's part of my faith.

Go kart track staff: Ok, could you please sign this disclaimer, which clearly states we recommended against it, before you ride?

Woman: Sure.

SNAP.

Oh well...her choice.

Archived