Life without oxygen

I thought that water was made of two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. Then it doesn't stretch the imagination to think that those tiny creatures (being electro-chemical in nature as we all are) might be using a form of electrolysis to extract oxygen from water.

Nearly!

"Water is made of two kinds of gin. Oxy-gin and Hydro-gin.

Oxy-gin is pure gin; Hydro-gin is gin and water."

Since it openly states that it is not referring to that, you are only going to look silly by suggesting that it does.
Where does it openly state that it is not referring to what I suggested? I clearly states that those creatures live in water, does it not? And water (even when saturated with salt, as in the Dead Sea) contains oxygen in the molecules of water, even if is not 'oxygenated' - isn't that right?

Here's another GCSE gem about water ... Not a lot of people know this:

Q. Explain one of the processes by which water can be made safe to drink.

A: Flirtation makes water safe to drink because it removes large pollutants like grit, sand, dead sheep and canoeists.

Not the ones in the laboratory. Conditions entirely without oxygen, and the critters not only survived, they went about their normal business, laid eggs and reared young.
What medium were they in when in the 'laboratory'? It does not say and when taking the whole article in context they were in de-oxygenated water, such as found at the bottom of the sea, where I add, they have evolved to live. Or do you think that they laid their eggs in oil or some other medium (or even in a vacuum)? I'm sorry that you cannot see the context of the article and also sorry that you cannot see the difference between dissolved oxygen and the fact that H2O always contains oxygen atoms.

What medium were they in when in the 'laboratory'? It does not say and when taking the whole article in context they were in de-oxygenated water, such as found at the bottom of the sea, where I add, they have evolved to live. Or do you think that they laid their eggs in oil or some other medium (or even in a vacuum)? I'm sorry that you cannot see the context of the article and also sorry that you cannot see the difference between dissolved oxygen and the fact that H2O always contains oxygen atoms.

Did you notice this sentence in the article

"The eggs hatched successfully in a completely oxygen-free environment."

?

Well, it is most likely is referring to water without any dissolved oxygen but water itself has oxygen atoms that make up the molecules and that's where those creatures live, in water.
First off water isn't oxygen and behaves in an entirely different manner. Secondly these animals do not make use of mitochondria within their cell biology which relies on oxygen for its cell chemistry but instead make use of a form of hydrogenosome that doesnt need oxygen for energy production and storage.

...in essence stop posting ignorant bilge.

;6117228']First off water isn't oxygen and behaves in an entirely different manner.
I know water is not the same as oxygen (and behaves in a different manner) but I also know that water contains oxygen atoms that make the water molecules. I also know that water can be split up into its basic components of hydrogen and oxygen through electrolysis and suggest that this is how those tiny creatures get oxygen from water. Duh

Secondly these animals do not make use of mitochondria within their cell biology which relies on oxygen for its cell chemistry but instead make use of a form of hydrogenosome that doesnt need oxygen for energy production and storage.
But it doesn't say that about these creatures does it.

...in essence stop posting ignorant bilge.
And you stop being offensive.

Archived