Shirecliffe Remand Home.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My brother was in there when he was 12. Him and a mate were caught sitting in the cab of a digger pretending to drive it. I was 20 at the time and thought it was a very harsh punishment for 2 little boys playing at being digger drivers!

They had recently lost one of their friends in a fire and were coming to terms with that when they were taken from their families and given over to the 'care' of sadistic bullies.

Still makes me angry.

There was a lot of stuff going on in there some people would never believe. Thing is some lads in there were on care orders for little more than not going to school. Some however were petty thiefs, odd ones were in for more serious offences. The staff there were very strict and would not tollerate any back chat. By todays standards it was harsh because kids (or the parents) are seldom taken to court these days. The things you were sent to Shirecliffe for are deemed minor now.

Anyone remember Mr Oliver? one of his sayings were "thele be blood and snot all over these walls". Does a grown (big) man really need to speak to teenage lads of school age that way. I did hear rumours he was a bit handy with the fist as with others that i personally witnessed.

Archived