Shirecliffe Remand Home.

I was in there i can't remember the exact year 1953/54. I worked in the kitchen and said to one of the lads that was in there with me you can easily get out of here and he went and told the chap who ran the place.He took me to the door unlocked it and said run but i refused.

I was there when i was 14/15 years old, around 1973/74. I used to get leave.. then had to go back when all my mates were goin out over the weekends and school holidays.. hated it.

Maybe you will know me, in them days i was known as derek green and was in their on remand for like an eternity and then shipped out to an approved school in market weighton, both shirecliffe and st williams are now closed and are something else. If i remember one person in that place, it would be a strict mr oliver a 6ft guy at the time and strict he was, would love to see him today and tell him what a jerk he is/was for treating people with no dignity and pride left after he had finished, he used too start work late afternoons and make us do pe with a medicine ball and talk to us like ****e......I also remember that the internal doors leading towards the dorms was locked and all visits we had was in the main gym hall..... also remember a private house on the grounds was for the warden and his family......At time i was in there, i lived on the kelvin flat's as they were then, but now gone......

• 1 month later...

My dad used to tell me about one of his teachers at school by the name of Cammock who used to rule by terror. Every boy in the school was scared of him. He also told me that he was now running a remand home in Shirecliffe (coincidentally the area where I was born)

When I misbehaved my dad would threaten to 'send me to Cammock'. Many, many times he used the threat.

When I left school I became an apprentice electrician and one of the first contracting jobs I did was at Shirecliffe remand home in 1966 or 67. I was threading some conduit when a well dressed man came up to me and introduced himself as Mr Cammock.

The world stopped for me for a few seconds I can tell you, I was still only 15 or 16 and it was not so very long ago that I had been threatened to be 'sent to Cammock'

The odd thing is he came over as a complete gentleman, polite and friendly.

He introduced me to his wife who also seemed very nice, and would come around every day call me by my first name and ask how the job was going.

Funny old world innit?

• 3 months later...

I was at Shirecliffe in the late 60's early 70's. A couple of times. I remember Mr Oliver and another guy, Mr Hinds. Of the two of them Hinds was the worst and very free with slapping kids across the head. Oliver was a lanky chap but always looked as though he had a stoop. I was put in care when I was there the first time for shop-lifting? The lad who I had been with was given a £10 fine and sent home. The man and his wife who ran the place were sadists.

• 4 weeks later...

I was in there for around 18 months in the early 80s mr oliver was still there we all called him "man ol" and i think it should have been a harsher place to stay it was like a holiday camp, i remember a few of the staff like mr wotton and the guy who was in overall charge at the time used to practice his golf swing outside during the night what a div.

• 9 months later...
I was in there for around 18 months in the early 80s mr oliver was still there we all called him "man ol" and i think it should have been a harsher place to stay it was like a holiday camp, i remember a few of the staff like mr wotton and the guy who was in overall charge at the time used to practice his golf swing outside during the night what a div.

I was there late 70,s early 80,s mr wutton ran it, with man Ol was the PE instructer plus he used to have us make canoes and go out in them. mr Baxter was a pr""k and bully....

Hello again: Anyone remember Shirecliffe House at the top of Shirecliffe Lane which was a remand home, run by a man called Cammock and his wife who ruled with an iron rod?

yes my vounger brother was in there for two weeks for not going to school

that would be round about the mid 1940.s

Archived