State sanctioned paedophilia

The age of consent is 13 in Spain so this wouldn't be paedophilia in Spain either.

That said I don't agree with it being so low, but then again criminalising teenagers for doing what comes naturally to them doesn't seem proportionate either.

I think that there are two issues and they need seperating. Just because the girl is 13 doesn't make it paedophilia, I think this is true. She could apppear fully developed and it is really up to each country to decide what the age of consent should be. I am sure that Americans who watch Jeremy Kyle and see 16 year old girls married to 40 year old men think that we are allowing paedophilia in this country.

The real issue, without all the hysterical paedophile rubbish, is that girls should not be forced into marriages at such a young age with much older men, at least in my opinion. It is just wrong.

It's not our business to interfere and impose Western values on different cultures to our own. Each country has the right to define its own age of consent or not to choose to have one at all.

You condone the practice then ? maybe it would have been best not to post on the subject because that seems to be what you are saying.

The age of consent is 13 in Spain so this wouldn't be paedophilia in Spain either.

That said I don't agree with it being so low, but then again criminalising teenagers for doing what comes naturally to them doesn't seem proportionate either.

The fact that you're comparing the Spanish and Yemeni legal systems speak volumes and proves what I said about the most vocal 'human rights' spokespeople happily siding with apartheid as long as it's based on gender and not race.

It just shows how far there is to go before women and children are really considered fully human, even in the supposedly liberated West. Culturally, it still doesn't register in many people's subconscious.

It's not our business to interfere and impose Western values on different cultures to our own. Each country has the right to define its own age of consent or not to choose to have one at all.
Of course it's our business, it's everyone's business. I suppose you believe it's never happened to a young british born muslim girl.

Of course it's our business, it's everyone's business. I suppose you believe it's never happened to a young british born muslim girl.

I agree with you entirely. By his definition if a society deemed it culturally acceptable to have sex with new born babies he would be OK with it.

I think that there are two issues and they need seperating. Just because the girl is 13 doesn't make it paedophilia, I think this is true. She could apppear fully developed and it is really up to each country to decide what the age of consent should be. I am sure that Americans who watch Jeremy Kyle and see 16 year old girls married to 40 year old men think that we are allowing paedophilia in this country.

The real issue, without all the hysterical paedophile rubbish, is that girls should not be forced into marriages at such a young age with much older men, at least in my opinion. It is just wrong.

What if she was 8 as in this report?

Do you still think it is up to individual countries to decide what the age of consent should be?

Quote from report.

"Fifteen is the favoured age for a bride here. But Ahmed knows a girl who married when she was eight.

She married her cousin, who was 22. On their wedding night, he expected sex. She didn't understand. She screamed and tried to run away, but her aunt - her husband's mother - came into the room, and ordered her son to "touch her", as Ahmed describes it. "

What if she was 8 as in this report?

Do you still think it is up to individual countries to decide what the age of consent should be?

Quote from report.

"Fifteen is the favoured age for a bride here. But Ahmed knows a girl who married when she was eight.

She married her cousin, who was 22. On their wedding night, he expected sex. She didn't understand. She screamed and tried to run away, but her aunt - her husband's mother - came into the room, and ordered her son to "touch her", as Ahmed describes it. "

Of course it changes if she is 8, but have any countries got an age of consent that low? What would be the other option to allowing countries to make their own laws, should we invade and try to convert an entire country? Should the US force us to raise the age of consent to 18?

Archived