Cemeteries aren't maintained properly

Yes, you are right, but what can we do to preserve them ?

It depends whether anyone thinks they are worth preserving. Things go in fashions. Earlier in the 20th century there was a rush to get rid of everything Victorian (because of associations with the stuffiness of the period) and only after the demolition of the Euston Arch in 1958-61 did the conservation movement really get going. Likewise it's only 40 years or so since northern towns in particular were trying to get rid of their old industrial buildings, and now they try to preserve them and industrial archaeology is recognised as legitimate. Everyone says they hate the 1960s high-rise buildings but now some are listed and preserved, and there is a Concrete Preservation Society. I suspect that preservation of cemeteries won't be viewed as important until lots more have been lost and people wake up to the treasure they contain.

It depends whether anyone thinks they are worth preserving. Things go in fashions. Earlier in the 20th century there was a rush to get rid of everything Victorian (because of associations with the stuffiness of the period) and only after the demolition of the Euston Arch in 1958-61 did the conservation movement really get going. Likewise it's only 40 years or so since northern towns in particular were trying to get rid of their old industrial buildings, and now they try to preserve them and industrial archaeology is recognised as legitimate. Everyone says they hate the 1960s high-rise buildings but now some are listed and preserved, and there is a Concrete Preservation Society. I suspect that preservation of cemeteries won't be viewed as important until lots more have been lost and people wake up to the treasure they contain.

Yes, I can see that happening in the future, but by then it will be too late wont it ? Those beautiful headstones can never be made like that in this day & age can they?

In my part of California cemeteries are run and maintained by private companies. The Forest Lawn Corporation own several around the greater LA area. They're like parks, the grass mowed, flower beds planted and the newer areas all have flat bronze head markers instead of the upright granite stones which makes cutting and edging easier for the maintenance crews.

Inside the cemeteries are large mausoleums the outside walls with decorative designs. The masuoleum where my brother-in-law is buried has a lift to each floor, water fountains and during the day piped in music. I never liked cemeteries much until I came to this part of the world. Now it's nice sometimes just to take a walk around them especially the Glendale Forest Lawn cemetery where many famous old time film stars are buried

Cemeteries shouldn't be sad neglected places but if the councils or local governments are in charge of this then they'll never do a decent job

Yes, I can see that happening in the future, but by then it will be too late wont it ? Those beautiful headstones can never be made like that in this day & age can they?

They could be. There is nothing fundamentally difficult about making them.

Problem is that people are tighter with their cash these days, and not willing to pay for that much work.

They could be. There is nothing fundamentally difficult about making them.

Problem is that people are tighter with their cash these days, and not willing to pay for that much work.

I would not have thought the stonemason of today would be as skilled as the old ones.

• 8 months later...
Rivelin cemetery used to be a nice place to walk round but its getting overun now.

St. Vincent's Parish are gradually taking steps to improve Rivelin cemetery. The chapel has been refurbished and the landscape in the immediate area will be maintained. It is of course a massive amount of work to maintain the pathways and graves that are higher on the steep grass banking and would cost a huge amount of money. Records of most of the deceased are still kept (approximately 17,000 records) and available for anybody that wishes to trace their ancestors.

In my part of California cemeteries are run and maintained by private companies. The Forest Lawn Corporation own several around the greater LA area. They're like parks, the grass mowed, flower beds planted and the newer areas all have flat bronze head markers instead of the upright granite stones which makes cutting and edging easier for the maintenance crews.

Inside the cemeteries are large mausoleums the outside walls with decorative designs. The masuoleum where my brother-in-law is buried has a lift to each floor, water fountains and during the day piped in music. I never liked cemeteries much until I came to this part of the world. Now it's nice sometimes just to take a walk around them especially the Glendale Forest Lawn cemetery where many famous old time film stars are buried

Cemeteries shouldn't be sad neglected places but if the councils or local governments are in charge of this then they'll never do a decent job

Sounds hideous!

Archived