Cemeteries aren't maintained properly

That bar would have to have a sign outside saying Bear Night.

If you happen to know where he hangs out let me know. I'll owe you one. Course he might be a she and probably wears spiked heels with curare on the tips. Some of Fishies usual comments point to the likelihood of menopausal crankiness

I love cemeteries. Although I'm not bothered about being buried myself, when I wander round them I get an overwhelming feeling of love (not death)

I like it if they're not maintained properly as the overgrowth signifies a passing of time.

However there's 'disrepair' and 'disrepair' ... the one close to me (Crookes) is sliding down the hill towards Rivelin valley which seems such a shame.

I love cemeteries. Although I'm not bothered about being buried myself, when I wander round them I get an overwhelming feeling of love (not death)

I like it if they're not maintained properly as the overgrowth signifies a passing of time.

However there's 'disrepair' and 'disrepair' ... the one close to me (Crookes) is sliding down the hill towards Rivelin valley which seems such a shame.

I agree surely the relatives of the deceased should clean the graves.perhaps plant some flowers.

My grandfather is buried in a Mausoleum and I agree with harley they are lovely.

If people wish to put things on graves of loved ones if it helps them with the grieving process then its not tat to them,as long as its kept tidy and most of them are in Wisewood i think its nice.I always trim my mum dads nan and granddads graves at xmas time they all loved xmas and yes its probably "tat" but thats my choice and its taken off in the new year so tough if you dont like "tat" its my personal choice

Sometimes there are no families left to take care of graves. All my immediate family are now dead or living overseas, myself included. I was happy that mom chose to be cremated instead of buried. The cemeterey where she would otherwise have been buried was in a sad state of neglect.

We took her ashes to Flamboro Head, Bridlington and scattered them to the wind. She had always loved that place

I love cemeteries, too! I had a wonderful time walking around Waverley Cemetery when I was in Australia. The Victorians, bless 'em, were certainly into one-upmanship when it came to memorials!

Although some of the gravestones were in poor condition, the cemetery was generally well maintained, though I don't know if that was by the Council or if it was privately owned.

It is a shame when the older cemeteries become overgrown, but if the choice is between spending on the living or spending on the dead, then I think most people would agree the living need the money more.

If people wish to put things on graves of loved ones if it helps them with the grieving process then its not tat to them,as long as its kept tidy and most of them are in Wisewood i think its nice.I always trim my mum dads nan and granddads graves at xmas time they all loved xmas and yes its probably "tat" but thats my choice and its taken off in the new year so tough if you dont like "tat" its my personal choice

Fair enough. I have never been to Wisewood, so you can be quite certain that my comment was in no way directed at you. I would disagree that it is simply a matter of personal choice, though - having had to clear the overspill from the neighbouring plastic fantastic heaps off my grandfather's grave, I feel quite strongly that a shared space like a cemetery is not a suitable environment for unrestrained personal expression.

• 1 month later...
St. Vincent's Parish are gradually taking steps to improve Rivelin cemetery. The chapel has been refurbished and the landscape in the immediate area will be maintained. It is of course a massive amount of work to maintain the pathways and graves that are higher on the steep grass banking and would cost a huge amount of money. Records of most of the deceased are still kept (approximately 17,000 records) and available for anybody that wishes to trace their ancestors.

Update for the Catholic cemetery at Rivelin. I am working on the burial records and plan to upload all 19,499 records online on a new website, together with maps on how to locate plots. PM me for details, or email: martin1print@yahoo.com. This will take a few more weeks to complete. I have burial dates, plot references, even some home addresses of deceased and the priest who conducted the burial. In the meantime, please be careful if walking in the cemetery. Keep to the main paths and don't stand or walk anywhere near to the old tall headstones, some of which are leaning dangerously.

It is a shame when the older cemeteries become overgrown, but if the choice is between spending on the living or spending on the dead, then I think most people would agree the living need the money more.

I wonder how many at the council earn more than 5* minimum wage.

You could reduce their income by a factor of one minimum wage and provide plentiful work at minimum wage to the youth. 20% of whom are unemployed.

If they earn ten times, reduce by a factor of 2 minimum wages.

You could reduce unemployment, the benefit bill and inequality all in the name of using the untapped labour of our society to show respect for the dead.

Archived