Early 1960's Fidelity Record Player Needs Servicing

Does anyone know where I can take an early 1960's mono Fidelity record player for full servicing?. The valves I know need replacing and a general service wouldn't be amiss while it's in. Rotherham would be preferential but Sheffield would be fine. There used to be a good Hi-Fi sales/repair shop on London Road but I don't know if they are still there, they might not do servicing to old players like this one anyway but that's the only shop I can think of. I would of course like to find a repairer that will do a good proper job on it and not rip me off.

If anyone can suggest the best place I would be very grateful, I don't expect it doing for cheap and won't mind paying an honest price.

Many thanks if you can help.

I used to service equipment similar to this. Is it still in working order?

Yes it is in working order, it's only used occasionally but when I got it out to play the other day it took just under an hour for the turntable to start to spin. It was always a bit slow at warming up but only usually a minute or so so I think the valves all need changing. Apart from that I think everything is ok but while the valves are being replaced I would like it all checking out. I highly value the machine and just want it in perfect working order, not to sell or anything I would never sell it I just like owning it.

Were you a service engineer for this type of thing?, I attach a photo of the machine below for you to look at, not sure of the model without fetching it out of the loft where it's all packaged up and kept but I can if it's any further help.

Would be interested in what you have to say.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff336/net44344/Recordplayer1.jpg

I've repaired many similar to this in the past. The turntable problem is unlikely to be caused by any valves-are you certain that it is a valved model and not transistorised? If it's as early as you say then it's likely to be a valved model. When you say "warming up" -are you referring to the turntable operation or the audio side?

I've repaired many similar to this in the past. The turntable problem is unlikely to be caused by any valves-are you certain that it is a valved model and not transistorised? If it's as early as you say then it's likely to be a valved model. When you say "warming up" -are you referring to the turntable operation or the audio side?
If it is a 60s model it will be valve and (if my memory serves me well) likely using a UL82 or EL82 (plus rectifier valve). It will likely hum a bit and would need new smoothing capacitor, which can be got from the Internet. I will also very likely need a new stylus but if the (friction) turntable drive has gone, I don't know how to repair that because as far as I know, there aren't any replacements available but as you said, the turntable is unlikely to be a problem.

The turntable friction drive might benefit from just a clean, it's unlikly that the motor will be faulty, although if any rubber drive components have perished then that might pose difficulties. The mechanism will be either a BSR or Garrard.

Archived