Where are the policies?

Can I just ask, what is stopping people from getting off their arse (or staying on it in some cases) and reading the policies of each party? Why, whenever I see the "man on the street" interviewed on some news show do they either say "they're all the same" or "they need to tell us what their policies are"?

Is it really that difficult, in this supposed information age, to get a clear idea of the individual parties' policies? I don't think so. I feel I'm pretty clear on the main policies of the Cons, Lab, Lib, Green, BNP and UKIP.

But how believable is it all?

For instance both Tories and Labour have pledged to restore the link between pensions and earnings, but the Tories broke the link in the first place and Labour have had 13 years to restore it but didn't.

It'd be more refreshing if all the politicians who are getting a lot of air time actually said quite simply what their policies actually are rather than just having a dig at the opisition or waffling.

You'll be suggesting that they stop lying next!

It'd be more refreshing if all the politicians who are getting a lot of air time actually said quite simply what their policies actually are rather than just having a dig at the opisition or waffling.

But it was amusing when George Osbourne and Alistair, Darling, were squabbling in front of John Sopel on the Beeb a couple of days ago:

"Go on then, show us the proof you can save the amount of money we would raise from increasing NI by cutting waste."

"Well, you've got a survey which told you how many jobs your NI rises would cost. - Publish it"

"Prove it"

"Publish it"

"No, You!"

"No, You!"

The pair of them were like a couple of 3-yr olds... it's a pity John Sopel wasn't a 'Mum' - A quick clip around the ear would've shut the pair of them up.:hihi::hihi::hihi:

The libbys are somewhat more interesting. I wonder why Mr Clegg is so keen to attract 11 year olds? - I didn't think they could vote.

I suppose making election promises to 11 year olds is less contentious than laying a trail of sweeties ;).

But how believable is it all?

For instance both Tories and Labour have pledged to restore the link between pensions and earnings, but the Tories broke the link in the first place and Labour have had 13 years to restore it but didn't.

Like with electoral reform, it all depends on the majority vote in parliament. I'm sure there are a lot of reform policies Labour would have liked to hammer out over the past 13 years...

After the 2005 General Election, Labour had an overall majority of 64 Seats.

Even today they have a majority of 56 Seats (a bit late to use it though ;) )

They could have pushed through whatever law they liked - indeed, one of the major complaints about the latest regime was that the Labour government simply ignored Parliament because it had the power to do so.

They had the majority ... it wasn't in their interest to use it.

Archived